Moving to Birmingham, Alabama . . . what is the backyard chicken situation?

SisaB

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 17, 2012
Hi everyone,
My husband and I just found out last night that he is being transferred by the Army to Birmingham, Alabama from Cedar Rapids, Iowa. We are born and bred Iowans so this is a big change! However, I was just on the cusp of starting my backyard chicken flock here in Cedar Rapids. I had ordered my chicks, due to arrive in two weeks, and am scheduled to take my chicken class at the local nature center tomorrow. I am debating going, but I am wondering - will I be able to pursue my dream of backyard chickens in Alabama? I would love some information!

:welcome
Hopefully where you move does allow chickens. Do you know which part of Birmingham yet?
There is a thread called ALABAMA that you may want to join also. Depending on where you'll live in Birmingham and their ordinances some do allow backyard chickens. Some have limits on how many, no roosters etc and how close to neighboring property your coops/runs can be as well. You'll need to check or find someone on that thread close to where you'll be and ask them as well as check with the proper ordinances for exactly where you'll be.
I'm in Pell City myself and not restricted at all, so my addiction goes unchecked! :D
Welcome to BYC and to Alabama!

We will not have to live on base, and basically have no clue at this point as to where exactly we will be living. So I suppose we could try to work so that we will live where they are allowed! I checked out the Alabama thread and will do a search to see what I can find. Thanks!

I live in B'ham!!
ya.gif
You can try to contact my mom, LovedByHim, on BYC. She will probably have some helpful info for you!

Back
Top Bottom