Moving to coop and temperature

jennyf

Songster
Apr 24, 2016
Missouri
Of course now that my coop is getting close to done, forecast is looking cooler. Should 6 week old chicks (6 of them in a 4x5 ft coop) need a heat lamp down to 50 degrees at night? All I have now is a 250 watt red light--should I get a lesser wattage to give a little heat in the coop, or could I attach a heating pad to the wall for a few days to transition? TIA!!

I started weaning my youngest chicks off heat when they were 3 weeks old, no heat lamp after 4 weeks. Their brooding area gets down to 65 or so at night. I would think they'd be fine, but if you are still providing extra heat, they may need some weaning first.

If you still have your six-week olds under a heat lamp, then yes, they will probably need it when you move them to the coop. If you had been weaning them off heat from the beginning, then by age four weeks, they would no longer need it, and would be ready to move out to the coop.

So if the chicks are still under a lamp, you need to wean them off it before moving to the coop, or wean them after they move to the coop.

Back
Top Bottom