Moving to coop at 2 weeks

gregblackburn

In the Brooder
Jun 9, 2017
I fear my chicks have outgrown my brooder and I don't have any great options for a bigger brooder. Is it okay to move them to the coop already, but just keep their heat lamp in the coop? I think they would be much happier with more space!

What do you have in the coop now? At just 2 weeks they need protection from any bigger chickens. If you have other chickens in there already, you would be wise to wall off a section with wire so the little ones don't get hurt.

What do you have in the coop now? At just 2 weeks they need protection from any bigger chickens. If you have other chickens in there already, you would be wise to wall off a section with wire so the little ones don't get hurt.

There is nothing in the coop right now.

It's basically a steel tub that is probably 24" in diameter and a foot tall. I have chicken wire on top so they can't get out but they seem crowded. This is my first time raising chickens so I wasn't sure what to get when I set up the brooder.

How big is the coop? You probably don't want to turn them loose in a barn, they might get lost. If you're new to chickens you will soon learn they are not the brightest animals God made.

How big is the coop? You probably don't want to turn them loose in a barn, they might get lost. If you're new to chickens you will soon learn they are not the brightest animals God made.

Haha it's about 48" x 48" so I thought that might be okay.

I did exactly what your doing. I had my existing coop/run with about 9 birds already there. they were about 2/3 months old and i didnt want them to hurt the new chicks, so i quickly framed up a 3'-4' section on one end of the coop using a few 2x4's and hardware clothe.. turns out, even the bigger chicks still liked the heat source and would lay beside the small ones on the outside. I also feel it really helped when it came time to integrate the younger ones into the flock, as they had seen each other for a while.

Back
Top Bottom