1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moving to hatcher 3-5 days too early?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilkieCanada, May 3, 2011.

1. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Im just trying to figure out, I know I have to move them into my none rocking hatcher 3 days before but is that a set rule? Or is 3-5 days ok?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

No no, they need to stay on the turner til day 18. The turning ensures that while the chick is developing it will not stick to the membrane inside the egg.

3. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    actually if you do it a day or 2 ahead of time I have found it does not harm them....but just dont raise the humidity till day 18. (just my personal experience)

4. debilorrah

Quote:That is all we really have to offer, right? What works for us. So many people have so many different opinions and tricks that work for them. Hatching REALLY is a crap shoot.

5. SilkieCanada

SilkieCanada Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    calgary
    Quote:That is all we really have to offer, right? What works for us. So many people have so many different opinions and tricks that work for them. Hatching REALLY is a crap shoot.

yea your right about that when I google it I get so many different things, I prefer to talk to people like you guys to see what your doing personally.

6. debilorrah

yea your right about that when I google it I get so many different things, I prefer to talk to people like you guys to see what your doing personally.

I have never actually tried not turning for 5 days instead of 3, however, it is what I was TAUGHT, so that is what I go with. You can try and let us know how it goes.

I had a staggered hatch last hatch, complete accident. I took the bator off the turner for 3 days (days 7-10) and put it back and all went well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by