1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving to Heaven from Hell

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Urk-ah-urk-ah-urr', Mar 8, 2012.

1. Urk-ah-urk-ah-urr'

Urk-ah-urk-ah-urr' Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Morning, kids.
    Yep... Retirement time is FINALLY here...20APR12!!! YIPPPEEE!!!
    I have survived approximately 60 years of Houston's and Dallas' 110*+ heat, water rationing, dried up lakes, blistering sun, nothing visible over your fence allowed, no gardens and CERTAINLY NO POULTRY or livestock. Heck... the HOA sent me a complaint letter because a neighbor could see my compost bin from their upstairs, bathroom window.

I am an unrooted, farm raised kid that has been forced to be a city boy for the last 45 odd years. I can't wait to cleanse the stench of concrete and gas fumes from my lungs and be able to bathe my soul in the rich soil, scents and sounds of life, again. I have found that my parrots, dogs and bonsai trees are a poor substitute for chickens, livestock and a garden.

Having been a member of this site for quite a while, I know I am in good hands and understanding souls...so, here goes...

I have been a re-occuring visitor to the Victoria B.C./Columbia River/Willamett Valley/Tillamook areas for a couple of years and have decided that I am retiring to the Vancouver, Washington area and, thus, I have a few questions for those in the 'local know'.

1.) Are the Vancouver city rules/restrictions for poultry (four hens... no roosters) applicable to Japanese Bantams
    [​IMG]
    HOTOPA Club Member's Poultry
    Breed: Japanese Bantam -
    Variety: Black Tailed White
    Owner: Marty Abrahamsen

or Chinese (Golden) Pheasants? (I know... dumb question but, one can hope.)

[​IMG]

If the answer is yes, (and I am certain that it would be) how far from the city limits do you have to be to relish in the echoing welcome of cocks crow in the morning without receiving threatening letters from your watermellon-headed neighbors?

2.) What suggestions/warnings/stories etc. do y'all have re: success with those two breeds/species in this colder area? I lived just north of London for about four years and had wild pheasants all over the place but, those were native... not Oriental.
    3.) Any idea how difficult it would be to obtain Japanese Bantams or Gold Reds in the Vancouver area?
    4.) Am I shooting in the wind with these two or do I have to go with something else? I do not care for Silkies or similar breeds.

Thoughts?

Thanks, in advance.

I have packing to do...

2. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I do not have the foggiest idea, but congratulations and you choice of Vancouver is a great one. I just love that entire area.

3. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Best of luck on the move.
    I belong to the JBBA, my breeders list is at home, will look at it tonite and get you some names.
    There is also a club meet at the end of the month, I can ask around if I don't have any leads for you.
    Now get packing!
    Roberta

4. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    and here I am, moving to Houston...

sorry, I have no help for you, but the juxtaposition of both our threads is kinda funny. :)

Good luck!

oh, and what part of town were you in, so I can avoid it?

5. Urk-ah-urk-ah-urr'

Jul 2, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Yes, what a twist of fate and timing. Ha!

I was born and raised in the Houston/Humble/Porter/Conroe areas then, moved to Dallas. North Dallas area is the Hell I was referring to .
    Not certain about the poultry laws around Galleria but, I can tell you that the areas I visited near there were pretty ritzy. Tons of subdivisions... with traffic to roast your cob for certain. Mind you, I am speaking of about 18+- years ago so, hopefully, things have improved. "They" have be working on/ripping out/repairing the highways and byways of Houston as long as I can remember... about 60 years. Beautiful area, though.

Congrats on the job. Houston is a great city with everything as close as a drive away. Coming in from Florida, you won't be a stranger to humidity, cockroaches and snakes... you should feel right at home.

Later, Gator.
    Peace and blessed be.

6. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    ^^Coming from Ohio, though have been to Florida many times so the weather shouldn't be too much of a shock to my system (so to speak).

The Galleria area is still pretty "ritzy" so highly doubt chickens would be acceptable. Although I'd be working there, we'd probably live elsewhere...Missouri City or thereabouts. I hope to find an area that is not so uptight about appearances.

7. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Urk, I have breeders listed in Oak Harbor, Goldendale, and Vashon.
    And a few in OR, too
    If you want the names and numbers, PM me.
    Roberta

8. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Just wanted to say how happy I am for you! How exciting to move on. I know so many that *talk* about the displeasure of their home location,yearn to move,but stay put out of fear or something. Good for you for making the move!

9. Urk-ah-urk-ah-urr'

Jul 2, 2010
    Vancouver, WA
    Good morning, Kiddos.
    -------------
    "stoopid"
    Thanks for the info. Anything a little closer to Vancouver? I understand that a breeder would need some scratching-room around them but, YIKES! Hadn't realized I would need to pack a sack lunch just to snag some pet-peeps. What about the ones in Oregon you hinted at?
    Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
    -------------
    "KBlue"
    Missouri City is a good pick. Not to far out... not to close in.
    -------------
    "Mattemma"
    Back in November 2011 I suffered a massive heart attack requiring the placement of six stents... I was about 60 to 90 seconds from the big 'dirt nap' according to my cardiologist. Having survived that episode, my "...one day I'm..." sayings slammed me into reality. That "...one day..." is now, today.
    :?)
    BTW... Your 'surburban trappings' sounds like a Thanksgiving meal from when I was a kid! Well... not including the mice, of course!

Peace and blessed be.

10. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Sorry, Urk. I forgot which state is on the border...Stoopid had a brain cloud.
    Will get back to you tonite, the list is in my home office.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by