Moving to Kentucky soon

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by conny63malies, Dec 22, 2011.

1. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    So right now we are stuck out here on the prairie in Kansas. But next year we are going back to FT KNOX!!!!!! I am so happy .I love the state, the people and the weather. THe whole family is going to roll out of Kansas in june. We are also going to retire there. Which might be anywhere from 24 to 48 month. We either stay near Ft Knox or move down to Corbin , the birthplace of KFC. Everytime i get lost driving around downthere i somehow end up at the Colonel restaurant. But anyways i will have chickens and maybe more sooner than later.

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

After hearing about the teachers in Kentucky who stuffed a 9-year-old autistic child in a duffel bag because they were too ignorant to deal with him (and the district looking the other way and school personnel standing with their mouths shut allowing it to happen--it was a national news story today), there's not enough money on the planet that would get me to move to Kentucky if I had school-age children unless I planned to home-school them.

Wish you all the best. Sounds like this is a move you are looking forward to, so enjoy and be happy! Just watch the teachers if your children attend public school there. The state doesn't seem to care if they abuse your child, esp. if the child has any kind of disability.

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:It is kind of harsh to judge an entire state based on one incident, isn't it?

OP- I took my family to Kentucky to explore the Mammoth Caves area. I will admit I was expecting to find the place filled with stereotypical hillbilly types. I couldn't have been more wrong! I loved the place and loved the people. We considered moving there on more than one occasion.

4. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    I was born in that GREAT state........one of tjhe best State in the Union IMO.......

Hhand....if you want to take one news story........you should read some of the crazy things that have happen in your State. bet you would be running out of that state....

5. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    The table below provides the rank of each State's reported rate of crime as compared to the 50 States and the District of Columbia. 1 = the highest reported crime rate and 51 = the lowest. Going from one year to the next a higher number means, that compared to other States, the relative crime rate is increasing and a lower number means that the relative level of crime is decreasing. The Index category represents the total number of crimes, and since most crimes involve property crime it is weighted towards these types of crime.
    State Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Forcible Rape Robbery assault Burglary Larceny Vehicle Theft
    Kentucky 2008 26 36 33 37 26 20 32 35 24 43 39
    Kentucky 2007 26 38 32 39 25 24 30 38 25 44 39
    Kentucky 2006 26 39 41 39 31 28 35 42 28 45 39
    Kentucky 2005 26 44 40 42 27 23 31 44 27 45 41

State Year Population Index Violent Property Murder Forcible Rape Robbery assault Burglary Larceny Vehicle Theft
    California 2008 1 27 15 26 18 42 6 19 25 41 4
    California 2007 1 27 14 30 18 41 6 18 26 39 4
    California 2006 1 27 15 30 13 42 5 19 23 38 5
    California 2005 1 25 15 27 12 40 6 18 23 38 6

REMEMBER HIGH NUMBERS GOOD...... LOW NUMBERS NOT A GOOD THING

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  6. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    No need to have a state war. All states have their good all states have their bad. I love kentucky. I have been there several times and most of the time the people were nice. Tennessee is the meth lab of the world, but I still love it here.

7. deerman

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:To tell the truth most of the states around here are meth labs too. I think Kentucky ,Tennessee, have some of the friendly people around...very good point each State has its good and bad......people ,weather,laws, taxes, and etc.

8. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    Quote:Yea, holy crap.. and this is coming from somebody in california, id rather be in He!! with my back broke then go back to cali.

anyway ive lived in ky most my life and i am not to far from ft. knox, and welcome back

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    I love Kentucky! I've done lots of spelunking there, hiking, birdwatching and other various outdoor activities. While some folks here found the need to point out the negative side of Kentucky, I have to say as an outsider I found the people very accommodating. The hubby and I actually went to Monkey's Eyebrow, Ky. Not a thing there but corn, mobile homes, corn, mobile homes, more corn and I think sweet potatoes.

We stopped at Bandanna, KY and visited the only building we could see: a mom and pops gas station. We simply stopped to take a break, and noticed the roadside was getting prepared to widen the two lane paved road. The owner of the station came out to talk with us, shared a soda pop with us, and we started talking about living in rural Kentucky. He reminisced about moonshine, outlaw in-laws, tobacco production and so forth.

I mentioned it appeared the road was going to be widened and wondered if much traffic traveled on these back roads. The elderly gentleman replied that Bandanna was a one tractor town.

And as if to prove his point this massive tractor came rumbling into view. Micheal Bay would have loved to put this machine in his Transformer movie. The massive vehicle was wider than the road and had six tires (maybe eight) over 10 feet tall which plucked the gravel out of the asphalt as the giant machine navigated the road. I stared with mouth agape as the tractor continued to rumble on by, come to a complete stop at the stop sign, then slowly traverse down the road.

Once the air was quiet, the old gentleman said, "We only have one tractor, but it is one hell of a tractor."

Gotta love that sense of humor. Welcome back to Kentucky!

10. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    I have looked at some nice houses while in KY.Nice place. I liked the weather,and the hills were great sledding for the kids,lol.

I read about the therapy bag. I am sure many schools do weird things.Just one more thing to cover when picking a school.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by