Moving to OR, do I need to insulate now?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brewmiss96, Apr 28, 2009.

1. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    Oh yeah! Finally getting out of CA! Got my first permanent job and I'm moving to the Bend area. I will most likely be able to take the chickens with me, but I'm wondering what modifications to the coop, or additions to a new one, I will have to make when I move from raining NorCal to snowy central OR?

Any help or advice? Insulation, water heaters, round-the-clock heat lamps??

2. Gregor

Gregor New Egg

Apr 1, 2009
    Molalla
    Central Oregon! yes, you will need to insulate and a lamp might be useful too. Do you have bird tolerant of the cold? Some do better then others.

3. SweetMissDaisy

SweetMissDaisy Chillin' With My Peeps

Insulation will also help with summer heat, as it can get quite HOT in that area, as well as COLD in the winter. Hope you enjoy it there -- I lived in Oregon for 17 years before moving to the middle of Texas. Oye... I sure do miss Oregon. [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Seriously doubt you *need* to insulate (many up here in my area do not have insulated coops)... but you may WANT to anyway. Makes life simpler, chickens more comfortable, winter mgmt easier.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

5. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I think they are cold hardy: 4 Light Brahmas, 3 Gold-laced Wyandottes, 1 Barred Rock, and a soon-to-be mamma royal palm/narraganset turkey.

That is a good point about the heat, what is good material for heat reflection/retention? I love my current coop, but not sure I want to move it 7 hours away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by