Moving to rental home... What to do about chickens???

AtlantisPeeps

Songster
5 Years
May 19, 2014
US
I have 14 chickens... We are moving to a rental home. Will rentals allow chickens? If not, what should I do??? This is kind of an open question, so any advice on anything related would be helpful...

That also depends upon where the rental is and how large the lot is. Clearly the landlord has first say. After that it depends. If you are in a city, check city regulations, if a county check their regulations.

Yes, check with your landlord, also, if they are allowed, if you leave them free range, you may have to coop them, or repair any damages accidentally done by them. While you may want to keep your chickens (and rightfully so) your land lord should be aware of any and all damages so you don't end up with a lawsuit etc for damages that ended up happening by accident (landscaping, noise or smell complaints etc) also, check the area laws about keeping chickens in the area your are renting in. If you do end up having to get rid of your chickens, try to find someone who can either keep them till you move to elsewhere (unless you are setting up permanent residence) or find some people who will "adopt them". You can also sell them, locally or on kijiji etc, but giving them away can invoke a more sympathetic and/or personable buyer (generally, not all the time ;D) if you have a trusted supplier (of chickens) you could also offer to donate your chickens to them. Hope I helped and best of luck!!

Back
Top Bottom