Moving to the coop early???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mommto3kiddos, Apr 25, 2011.

1. mommto3kiddos

mommto3kiddos Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Do you think 4.5 week old bantam chicks recently intigrated into the coop with 6 older hens would be fine to just stay there and not return to the brooder??
    Night temps are in the 60's & highs in the 80's!!
    Most have about 90% of their feathers.. Two breeds have about 75% of their feathers!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. LittleMoon

LittleMoon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I jus put mine out but the bigger chickens were nasty to them so i put some wire and fence stuff in a corner of the coop so they could have the space to themselves.

3. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Wow, I am envious of your temps! I'm sure they would be just fine with all of those buddies to cuddle with when it gets down to a frosty 60 [​IMG]

4. Chick15

Chick15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    ummm.... We put our chicks in the coop last night and they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow (about) Is that wrong? is that way too early???

5. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Depends on temp.

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Quote:Baby bantams with older hens might not go well. Your bantams may need a pen of their own if the older birds don't accept them at first.

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Baby bantams with older hens might not go well. Your bantams may need a pen of their own if the older birds don't accept them at first.

x2 I'd worry far more about how the hens would react than your temps... Some hens will kill chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by