Moving to the coop / Nesting ??????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 5peeps, May 27, 2008.

1. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Hello ,
    3 of the 5 chicks I have are getting to the point that they can be moved to the coop , can I move them and wait to move the other two in about 2 weeks or so . Is it ok to move the heat lamp out there and then move them all it is getting around 50 at night and up to 65 during the day at this time ?

Now the nesting box question what do you guys us in your nesting box , do you let them make the nest and how often do you change it ??

Thanks
    Will

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    How old are the chicks.

No need for nest boxes until they're ready to lay - at around 20 weeks of age.

3. 5peeps

5peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Winterset Iowa
    Funny , that is another issue I have I bought them on April 25th and was told they were a week old . ( I am pretty sure they are wrong )
    Here is a picture maybe you can well me sorry not the best pic. This picture is a week old .

[​IMG]

I under stand about the nesting at 20 weeks but I was still wondering what people us and if you make it into a nest ,ect,ect,.

Thanks

Will

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Generally you should wait until they have all their feathers and no more baby fluff - at that point they will be around 7-8 weeks old.

I use pine shavings in my nest boxes - sometimes hay - I change it when it gets dirty.... which is not that often - they don't sleep or poop in there, just lay their egg and leave!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by