Moving to the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nightbrew, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Nightbrew

Nightbrew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    I was thinking of moving my chicks to the coop this weekend to give them some room. They are about 3-4 weeks old. My coop is fully enclosed and insulated and I would put the heat lamp in w/them. I live in Missouri and it should be warm from here on out. Would there be any problems w/this, they are starting to get close to be able fly out of my temporary brooder. Thanks

2. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm probably a bit of a free spirit about this subject, but i wouldn't hesitate for a second. They'll have so much fun with the larger space, and you can probably start to let them range around outside too, especially if it's warm like you said. Have fun!

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I moved mine out to the coop at about the same age, a few weeks ago. We still had a few nights in the low 30's so I left the heat light on for them but kept reducing the temperature gradually. They are now about 6-7 weeks old and are off the heat lamp for good (unless we have some freakish weather!). It is so nice not to have the brooder to clean every few days and the chicks are so much happier in a larger space with a view of the real outdoors. Since I don't have any way to keep them separate from the hens in the run they have not had the option of being truly outdoors yet. But as soon as they get a bit bigger and able to fend for themselves...they will get the privilege of going outside too.

4. ChikeeMomma

ChikeeMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Mid Michigan
    You shouldn't have any problems. I'm in Michigan and it has been an awful cold/nasty spring. I did have to start mine out in the garage in a brooder this year. Last year they started right out in the coop with no problem. I just moved this year's batch out there on Sunday. Your coop is even insulated, mine is not. They stay toasy out there. I just keep the heat lamp on them until they don't need it anymore.

5. Nightbrew

Nightbrew Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2011
    Thanks guys I think i will give it a go.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by