Moving to the country

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Essentiallyokanaganmom, May 22, 2019.

1. Essentiallyokanaganmom

Essentiallyokanaganmom In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    Hey all,
    We moved from the city to 3 acres of land 1 year ago. We are eating our way into farm life, first we got a dog and this year we got Chickens! I have to admit I know very little about chickens and buying "mixed layers" at the feed store dont even know what kind of chicks we have! Hoping to learn along the way from you all and the chicks. (And if anyone thinks they might know what we have let me know!) 20190521_113141.jpg

Attached Files:

2. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
    Can I ask what the temperature is in your brooder? Your chicks look hot.

3. CarpCharacin

CarpCharacin Cyprinus carpio

Aug 17, 2016
    Salt Lake City, UT
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! We're glad you decided to join our wonderful community! :welcome

4. Leahs Coop

Leahs Coop Free Ranging

Nov 5, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hello,:frow and a warm welcome to Backyard Chickens! It's great to have you here with us and I hope you'll enjoy this site as much as we all do!

5. Essentiallyokanaganmom

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    That picture is from before we moved the light up again this morning! It was creeping up to 40 as the outside temps keep raising this weekend, Now right under the light is at about 35c. They still keep going and sleep right under the light so I didnt want to make it took cold though!

6. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    I'd raise it a little more and make sure it is off to the side so there is a cool part in the brooder. It would be great if you could get them into something much larger and with much more fresh air. What you have them in is awfully small for 10 chicks.
    Have you heard of a brooder plate?

7. Essentiallyokanaganmom

May 22, 2019
    Okanagan Valley
    We definately are quickly realizing what we have isnt big enough! plans are in the works to try and come up with something bigger by the weekend. Hardest part is with a cat and a dog keeping it somewhere easy to access (and much larger) but away from them. Thinking of just boxing in the laundry room with some plywood and letting them have all the floor space until big enough to go outside.

8. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hi and welcome to BYC and congrats on your new hobby. My thoughts from your pic mirrored that of @DobieLover but i see that you have things under control :thumbsup

Here are some links to key resources:

Best wishes

Pork Pie

fldiver97, rjohns39, sourland and 3 others like this.
  9. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Songster

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Welcome to BYC. Enjoy your cute chicks, whatever breed they are.

10. DobieLover

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Do you have your coop and run set up and secure? You can always brood them in the coop with a brooder plate if your coop is ready.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: