Moving to the Great Outdoors

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Gofygure, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Gofygure

Gofygure Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Our new chicks are six weeks old and are starting to become...ill-suited for life indoors. I had to string a net up over the brooder to keep them from hopping out and getting dehydrated every night, the smell is getting strong no matter how clean the bedding, and to top it off we have an intrepid young crower squeaking away every morning.

They're still too small to mix with the hens, but we decided to build an outdoor brooder this year rather than next. Here's the basic frame built yesterday. It's 8' x 4' and will eventually have its own small run within the run. It still needs a door and ramp, paint, legs, more support along the bottom, and a top, but it's coming along nicely:
    [​IMG]

In the meantime, all 16 babies have started free ranging for a few hours a day.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The hens are, obviously, not taking a flock of squeakers pecking around the driveway lightly. However, they mostly ignore the ones that don't wander too close. This picture reminds me of a Spanish galleon cruising toward some tiny fishing boats...ready to do battle, lol.
    [​IMG]

Stretching his legs:
    [​IMG]

Climbing is fun!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Colt wants to know why the floofs get to be outside and he doesn't.
    [​IMG]

The Silkies only started going out today. They're so funny to watch. They stick to their bigger broodmates like glue and will peep frantically if they're more than a few feet away from anyone. Everything must be treated with the greatest seriousness, including their solemn little Silkie expeditions.
    [​IMG]

The hens enjoy a nice drink after a long day of bothering me for food harassing chicks foraging.
    [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Loved your narration!! lol I'm seeing an awful lot of combage on those...sussex? part.rocks? whatever those pretty speckled chicks are - how many are you thinking are roos??? They sure look like they're enjoying themselves! [​IMG] How's Colt do with the peepers? My youngest dog can only be trusted alone with chicks after they get past the peeping (squeaky toy) stage...lol.

3. Gofygure

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Yes, they are Speckled Sussex. Right now I have four definite cockerels, four definite pullets, and two more tentative pullets. The cockerels are just much less camera-shy than their sisters. As long as I have four pullets to work with I'll be happy, and the biggest roo at slaughter age gets to keep his own little harem for a year or so.

Colt was actually raised with our Golden Comets. We got him in March and them in April of last year, so he's pretty much uninterested in them, even at the squeaky stage. My other dog looooves the babies, but when she's allowed near one she just gives it kisses and shakes like a leaf.

Oh! And I almost forgot. One of the ladies forgot her dignity for a moment and became...yogurt face!
    [​IMG]

4. calvincoop

calvincoop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    Speckled Sussex are great! They have big personalities, and I mean BIG.

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How cute! I love the pics! You have beautiful birds!! [​IMG] Thanks for sharing

6. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    I thought those were Speckled Sussex! We had two but they turned out to be roos and I had to re-home them. Fun to see SS again :) Looks like your birds have a happy life.

7. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Loved your pics! I am getting a SS pullet in July - hope she's as pretty as yours!

8. Cute chickies, cool brooder

Our doggie does well with turkeys...and chicks...no matter what age...but...when it comes to ducks and geese....they..err..are...squeak toys....

9. Gofygure

Mar 4, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    Thanks everyone! Yes, they do have quite the personalities. I'm trying not to get too attached to any of the roos, though. >_< The good news is my favorite little guy weighed in a good deal larger than the others today, so he has a good chance of sticking around.
    They are very pretty birds. :) Quite a bit bigger and 'meatier' than the Comets were at that age, and they have lovely hazel-green eyes. I especially like the ones with darker plumage.

I want to get a better quality roo when the time comes, but I'm pleased with these little ones.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by