1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving turkeys into old chicken coop. Should i clean out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by boykin2010, Jun 17, 2011.

1. boykin2010

boykin2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    I am in the process of moving my turkey poults into my old chicken coop and run. I cleaned out the coop today as far as cleaning out the poop on the bottom of the coop. I read somewhere that some turkeys can get diseases from chickens but i also know that many people keep their turkeys with their chickens. Is there anything i should do about cleaning out the coop to keep the turkeys from getting any diseases? Could i spray bleach and then rinse? Do i need to clean it out at all?

2. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    My theory would be, "better safe than sorry". If you have the means to do a deep cleaning while there are no birds in there, I would go for it. Yep, bleach it, scrub it spray it down real well, let it dry real well. Then you will never have to wonder, "should I have cleaned it better first?" Just MHO. [​IMG]

3. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    Is there anything else i can use to clean with that would be better than bleach?

4. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    anybody?

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would spray and scrub down with bleach. i would till up the ground and add lime and let sit for a week before putting anything in.

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:Oxine.

7. boykin2010

Sep 26, 2010
    South Georgia
    My coop is a chicken tractor so i just moved it to fresh grass. ( sorry i forgot to mention that )
    Thank yall for the responses. I have some extra bleach so i will use that tommorow. I will let yall know how it works out

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by