Moving! What to do with my girls...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hatrick, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Our family is in a unique situation. We're moving in three weeks because my husband has been commuting too far for almost three years now. Since the house we're living in has sold before we've found another property we have to camp the entire summer with our four kids in a 26 foot trailer. (That's a WHOLE other story...) What's funny is we're trying to buy a small hobby farm but where we live right now we have illegal backyard chickens. LOL! The problem is obviously that we don't have anywhere to keep our 2 Barred Rocks while we camp. They're both just over 2 years old and we've raised them since they were chicks, I really don't want to get rid of them. Do you think it would be reasonable to try and find a temporary foster home for them by posting an ad on kijiji or something? I don't have any friends who would be able to take them and besides this idea I'm going to just have to give them up. [​IMG] Thoughts?

2. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    Where are you located?

3. laughing man

laughing man Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    westfield mass
    yes where do you live?

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well Hatrick, I think I would buy a wire dog kennel and set them outside my trailer, under an awning. If you don`t have a rooster, ya might get away with it..........Pop

5. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Perhaps trying to contact a local veterinarian, he/she might know someone? Might be worth a try. Maybe someone on this site might be within your distance? Try posting or looking in Where are You/ Where am I? Good luck!

6. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I vote for the dog kemmel.
    I bought a like new huge wire one on CL for $50.00 last week..........
    Also, suely there is someone out there who would offer to help.
    I chicken sit every winter for friends that live 6 months in Hawaii [​IMG]
    Part time mama here.
    And I am hatching eggs wiith my broody for a lady that ordered eggs and then lost her incubator option.
    BYC'ers always are reaady to help.
    Let folks know where you live..........
    And good Luck

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:everything you said...I vote a big yes on....where do you live??

8. Hatrick

Hatrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    St. Catharines, Ontario
    We've got our eye on a 3 acre place but we won't get it until September. [​IMG]

9. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    After a summer in a 26 foot trailer with 4 kids I bet your husband will be wishing the commute was a lot longer!!! LOL

10. NottinghamChicks

NottinghamChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I know your predicament well. We sold our house and my husband, myself, our 15 yr old son, and two dogs lived in our fifth wheel while we built our current home. It was 15months. We gave our entire flock away to the neighbor who has a goat farm. If we only had a few I would have kept them. I would try to keep them in a kennel at the campground. It's only two [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by