Moving wife's babies outside

Sushiducks

Chirping
Jul 28, 2019
Hi all. Raising our first fowl. I'll post in hello section and some pics maybe tomorrow. This forum has helped a lot deciding to get ducks and establishing our setup, so thanks! A specific question though:

Our 4 Muscovy are 7 weeks old and almost fully feathered. During the day they are out in our yard or their coop/run full time. At about 9 pm every night though they either pace in front of their coop door or, if out, book it to the slider demanding to be let in.

All 4 still sleep in the 50 gallon crate we raised them in from 5 days old. I think they are ready to be out at night but my wife takes pity on them.

I made the mistake of putting a camera in the the coop and she will stare at them on her phone, listening to them call, until she breaks down and brings them inside.

Do you have to slowly work them into it or just put them out there and they get used to it after a night or two?

I feel like we are way overthing this.
IMG_4667.jpg

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!

You're overthinking it. Birds are creatures of habit, and if they're used to coming inside, then they're going to want to come inside. I'm not sure how you could ease them into being outside more than you already have; seems like the final step is to just lock 'em out. They'll be very upset for about three nights, and then they'll get over it.

So I have 13 ducks, before I got that many I had 6 and they stayed inside. I ended up making a coop and as they got old enough to not need the heat lamp anymore I put them out in the coop. They were not very happy for a day or two but now they are used to being out in coop, plus they have more duck friends. I only have 1 duck inside with me now but he has a health problem so it is easier to have him inside so I can keep a eye on him. Anyway, I would just put them out, they will get used to it.

Welcome to BYC!

You're overthinking it. Birds are creatures of habit, and if they're used to coming inside, then they're going to want to come inside. I'm not sure how you could ease them into being outside more than you already have; seems like the final step is to just lock 'em out. They'll be very upset for about three nights, and then they'll get over it.
Kind of what I figured. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom