Moving with 5 hens.....

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by theRURALgirl, Oct 19, 2011.

1. theRURALgirl

theRURALgirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2011
    Burkesville, KY
    Hi! So we are moving in a week and the place we bought has a huge coop, which is really exciting. But here is my dilemna. Money is tight and the coop has no run attached to it and we have gone back and forth looking at materials to make a temporary enclosure because our girls are free range. Everything we are seeing will be quite exspensive. Any ideas on what I should do. I don't really like the idea of keeping them locked up in the coop, though it's big enough for them to get adjusted. They do come when I call them and never have wandered very far, they actually saty by the horses.

So can I keep them in the coop for a few days and then let them out and call them back before dark and lock them in? HELP!!!!

2. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    If your asking what do to do about a run......I have a 4x4 run 4 foot long and 4 foot wide. 5 feet high with a deer netting over the top to keep them from roosting on the top of the fence and to keep hawks out. I think the chicken wire was 25 dollars and the deer netting was 20 dollars a roll. Im not sure how much post would cost but I only needed 2 because mines connected to the hen house.

I too have 5 hens. The total would probably be 50 dollars max. Yes it is bottom of the line but hey! It works GREAT for me! [​IMG]

Good luck with your new house! [​IMG]

I hope this helps.... [​IMG]

Also [​IMG] !!!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. new chick 203

new chick 203 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    Ridgefield CT
    We were on a budget for our run too. Instead of buying posts we used a combination of existing trees and where we needed a post where there wasn't a tree we made posts out of trees we cut down. The result is a very natural looking run that most people don't even notice is there. We used deer fencing on sides and top, because hawks are our main day time predator. We make sure they are in the secure coop at night because deer fencing won't be enough for a determined raccoon.

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

My garden photo below shows $2 posts from Home Depot. You also see 7' deer netting. A hundred foot roll, more than enough to make a huge run, is $75.

You could build a large run for under $100. Frankly, you don't even NEED to buy 7' high netting. Likely 4' would be plenty if they aren't high flying birds or if you trim one of the wings flight feathers a bit. That knocks them off balance for serious flight. 4' is even cheaper to buy. Deer netting is polyester and is attached using simple zip ties. Quick, cheap and easy to install.

[​IMG]

5. theRURALgirl

Jul 30, 2011
    Burkesville, KY
    Thank you for your responses, this will be something temporary because as I have stated are birds are free range only. I have been told a week in an enclosure will be enough and then they will know where there coop is and return there for nesting, food and sleep. I like the idea of the deer fencing, hawks are not something i need to worry about but the girls do fly as I feel clipping their wings is not good for free range. I will research more now that you all gave me some more ideas.

6. Auscal

Auscal Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2010
    So, you intend for the chickens to be totally free range - but are just concerned about them adapting to the new location?

Since money is tight, and you will be busy with moving, so fencing, even temporary would be a chore you'd probably rather avoid.

You do state the new coop is huge - I would just leave them in the coop for 5-7 days, then let them out one morning, and have confidence that instinct will bring them back at dusk.

7. WalkerH

WalkerH Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, it is even suggested to lock them up for a couple days, so they understand to come back. I wouldn't really worry about a fencing, especially if the coop is big enough for them and you intend for them to free range

8. theRURALgirl

Jul 30, 2011
    Burkesville, KY
    Thanks! The coop is large enough to house at least 20 birds so I think I would rather lock them in there for about a week then invest in something that won't stay up. They free range now on about 30 acres and we have never had an issue, of course they were enclosed because we got them at 1 week old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by