moving with a broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oftwife03, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016
    So in about a month we will be moving. Not far thank god but one of my easter eggers has decided it's time to hatch her own babies lol. First thing first she is my very first broody so I have been researching and trying to make sure we are doing this right. Luckily we will be moving after they hatch but I am wondering how the move will affect her. Also how hard will it be to move one who is sitting just encase another one goes broody before we move. We will be making sure she has a great set up at the new place and plan to move them after dark since we are literally moving 3 houses down lol. Is there anything else we should do to make it easier on her and all the other chickens. She is my mine worry. The other thing I was wondering is the day after she went broody a new blue egg showed up under her. I know it wasn't from my other chickens cause I only have 2 blue layers and the other one laid that day too. Well I marked it and left it under her and it didn't develop at all. It's like it wasn't fertilized. I removed it around day 9. I thought once they went broody they didn't lay anymore. Other then that she has been a great little momma. The first week she would purr at me and wanted to be petted and now she doesn't want to be touched. Yesterday was day 11 and she didn't get off her nest at all. I will be watching to see if she gets off today. Any advise is welcome. I love learning from other chicken people!!! Oh and my broody is the pretty girl in my profile pic lol.

2. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Well the best thing you can do is try to make the move feel like a not move. If you can figure out a way to move her and the nest and eggs all at once with as little disturbance as possible that would be ideal. She may not appreciate you trying to put her on a different nest. Chickens like routine and familiarity so anything like that will be stressful but if they have enough space to roam and plenty of food to eat they will get along fine with the transition. If you are going to utilize a new coop for them it may take some getting used to for them to adopt it as their new home. Cute bird! Best wishes on the hatch!

3. Oftwife03

Oftwife03 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2016

Thank you. It will be a new coop. Our coop now can't be moved since the start of it was a pipe hog pen. We will be building a new coop. The good thing though is her nest is in a dresser I turned in to nesting boxes so that should help. They should hatch before we move but who knows when another one will go broody lol.

4. ChickenChaser9

ChickenChaser9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2016
    Of course it is best to prepare for as many possible problems as you can but I would have to say that I think your particular situation should be just fine. You are not moving far and so the stressors will not be as impactful as they could be and having a portable nest for moving your broody lady will make the transition much easier for all involved. You should consider the chicks though. They should be kept separated from the flock for the first week or so as they can get accidentally stepped on or injured by the bigger birds until grow a bit. You don't want to lose any by accident and Momma Hen can only do so much to try and keep them in line. Best Wishes!

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Being they will be hatched before you move, you will only need to put the chicks into a dog crate and then catch hen and she will settle right down till she gets to the new place.....Her Mothering instincts will be strong, so as long as she has her chicks safe she won't care what your doing....;)

Best of luck.....

Cheers!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by