Moving with chickens

Tinyraptortamer

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2020
West Texas
So we have 5 hens and a large coop and run. We just bought some land 20 minutes away and will be moving everyone there. Any tips or anything on doing this? We think we are just going to build a temporary run for them to live in while we take down their coop and move it.

Been there, a few times!
If possible, build the new run/enclosure before you have to move the birds so you can build what you want. I finally was able to do that and am glad I did. I found someone I trusted to keep the birds for two weeks to make that possible.
Just make sure you have thought through, and have materials on site for, the new run, even if it's just a temporary run. The last thing you want is to have night falling, and you're trying to make do with sheets or chicken wire instead of hardware cloth or something.
You might also consider building a smaller coop/run for the temporary run, with plans to later use it for broodies, grow-out, isolation, etc. That way you move t he birds immediately into the temp run, and don't have to drive back and forth to take care of the birds while you're also trying to build their big run, unpack your house etc.
Finally the hardest part can be, catching the birds ahead of the move. I've used cardboard to help coral them, and then an assistant to open and close the pet crate (which is on end while I'm catching) as I catch each bird.
best of luck, I hope this helps get you started!

ETA: another thing I considered but couldn't do, is to build a temporary structure at your current place, before you move anyone. Then you could dismantle the existing large structure for the move, leaving the birds at the old place during the construction project...

Omg I can’t believe we didn’t think about the temp housing being here 😆 that’s so much easier.
no worries they will be safe. My husband built the coop/run so we can easily cut it in half for moving and it’ll be set up by end of day. But at least at the current house we have tall Fences and more protection

Back
Top Bottom