1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Moving with chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickabone, Aug 15, 2008.

1. chickabone

chickabone Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2008
    Hi all,
    OK so I'm moving across the country in 2 months and was wondering if anyone has moved chickens long distances before. I'm in Illinois and going to California, about a three day drive, and was wondering how to do this without traumatizing my babies. I was really hoping to adopt them out, for free, and listed them for free here on "Chicks and Chickens Buy-Sell-Trade" but no one seems interested. So it looks like I may have to attempt to bring them with me. Anyone do this before and if so, how?

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    How many chickens are you thinking of moving?

3. chickabone

Aug 13, 2008
    I have 3 hens and a rooster.

4. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    I moved 4 purebred flocks in 2006, along with 8 dogs, 12 cats, 2 Mustangs , and a Quarter horse from CA to NC. I had a professional animal mover haul them in a semi.
    In your case I would think an appropiate size dog crate with feed and water attached to the door would do nicely.

5. chickabone

Aug 13, 2008
    You don't think they'd get too freaked out being crated up for a couple days? I mean obviously I'd check on them periodically to give them food/water/cleanup. I just heard that birds can get really stressed - did you have any problems with your chickens during/after your move? Do they need to be in seperate crates or will they be ok in one big one?

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    You shouldn't have any trouble with them at all. Just watch that they don't get too hot. Being crated for a couple days should be fine. I ship and also recieve shipped adults on a regular basis, and they do well, and seem to adjust without problems. My shipped birds from CA laid eggs the entire 3 days plus the they were being transported and continued to lay albeit not as well once they arrived. Everything picked back up to nomal very quickly though. Your 4 birds should be just fine in one crate.

7. Napalongtail

Napalongtail Longtail Longtimer

Jan 31, 2007
    NE Washington
    A large crate for 4 chickens is sufficient. I moved 900 miles with 60 birds and just had them in boxes. We drove straight through though and set pens up immediately to get them out and feed and water. But when birds ship in the mail they are on route 2-3 days with no feed or water. Like someone else said making sure they don't get too hot is a biggy and too cold if you have to park over night.

8. chickabone

Aug 13, 2008
    They don't mind being in the dark the whole time?

9. mahsmaj

mahsmaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Hannibal, Missouri
    Where at in Illinoise are you???

10. chickabone

Aug 13, 2008
    I'm up in Woodstock, 60098. It's about 1 hr NW of Chicago.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by