Moving with ducks

duckymama2

Songster
7 Years
Jun 16, 2014
Oak Hill, Florida
We are moving the first week in November from Wisconsin to Florida which is about 1400 miles. We have an enclave where we will have 4 ducks (2 khakis and 2 Pekins) in a dog kennel (24 wide by 36 long) in the far back of car. Is this ok for them? Will they be safe and is that enough room for all 4? Never moved with them before and am extremely worried as they are part of the family. Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

How many days do you plan to take to make the trip?

I think Majestic Waterfowl has some notes on traveling with ducks on their web site.

They will need water - you can make a no-spill water container.

You need to be sure it's set up so they cannot get out when you open the door.

I would have some kind of plan for collecting poop.

They can get car sick - but they need to eat, so you may want to plan some stops for them to eat and rest (and digest).

I think giving them attention will help a lot.

I would also bring some treats for them.

It normally takes 20-24 hours to get there driving straight thru depending on traffic. We don't want to stop and sleep for the night because it will make the trip longer for them. The kennel will be closed up except for when we open to feed and water. Do you think this small area is enough room for 4 ducks for that long? how do I make a no spill container?

I would pack towels, plenty of water for drinking, refilling after spilling, and wiping off. And treats, and regular food. I would feed very lightly - in case they get carsick. I have had ducks get carsick before - it's not awful - but they risk aspirating it and choking and that can be fatal. Hmmm. Bring some half inch rubber tubing in case anyone chokes.

I would also bring trash can liners, maybe use puppy pads underneath towels for bedding, or maybe a few old pillowcases with some sawdust pellets for bedding - that should be absorbent and you could compost the sawdust and poo, and wash and reuse the pillowcases AS DUCK LINENS or rags. I shouted (used all caps) because I suspect someone's gonna get all
sickbyc.gif
if I don't specify. Sheesh. Everyone's a critic.
lol.png

Wrap that kennel unless it is an airline type or you are going to have duck poop in the back of your vehicle.

I would feed and water very lightly during the trip as they are basically in your back seat.
I'd almost try to figure out a way to stop a time or 4 where you can take them out of the kennel and rinse it so your vehicle isn't nasty smelling.

We drove from New York to Alaska with 2 large dogs... one of which farted a lot. Lots of driving with windows down to air out the car and for us to not choke on the smell. I'd expect similar for ducks and poop, but they are going to be pooping in the vehicle, so that smell is going to linger.

I would pack towels, plenty of water for drinking, refilling after spilling, and wiping off.  And treats, and regular food.  I would feed very lightly - in case they get carsick.  I have had ducks get carsick before - it's not awful - but they risk aspirating it and choking and that can be fatal.  Hmmm.  Bring some half inch rubber tubing in case anyone chokes.

I would also bring trash can liners, maybe use puppy pads underneath towels for bedding, or maybe a few old pillowcases with some sawdust pellets for bedding - that should be absorbent and you could compost the sawdust and poo, and wash and reuse the pillowcases AS DUCK LINENS or rags.  I shouted (used all caps) because I suspect someone's gonna get all :sick  if I don't specify.  Sheesh.  Everyone's a critic. :lol:  

Ok this scared me a little bit. I hate to sound stupid but what do I do if one of them chokes?

Wrap that kennel unless it is an airline type or you are going to have duck poop in the back of your vehicle.

I would feed and water very lightly during the trip as they are basically in your back seat.
I'd almost try to figure out a way to stop a time or 4 where you can take them out of the kennel and rinse it so your vehicle isn't nasty smelling. 

We drove from New York to Alaska with 2 large dogs... one of which farted a lot. Lots of driving with windows down to air out the car and for us to not choke on the smell. I'd expect similar for ducks and poop, but they are going to be pooping in the vehicle, so that smell is going to linger.

Wrapping the kennel is a great idea. The pekins have very explosive poop. Yuck! I thought of taking them out of the kennel but don't know what I could put them in while cleaning the kennel. They will be scared and I wouldn't want something bad to happen. Not looking forward to the smell. That's a long time to be smelling that nasty smell. Do you think the kennel is big enough for all 4 to ride safely?

going to be cramped, but it is 24 hours, so it should be fine.

Maybe pack a few extra packing boxes (larger ones), flatten them, put them under the kennel (and under a layer of plastic to keep from getting pooped on and holding smell.
Stop, put the boxes back together, have somebody hold the box, put the ducks in, quick rinse their pen with a gallon jug of water, use a towel to dry it and stuff them back in again

It might be worth finding an airline type kennel for them (2 not as large if you can't find a bigger one) and then pick up some Sweet PDZ in hopes that it will help the smell. The airline style will help keep the sweet pdz in the kennel.
Though you could line the interior of the wire kennel into the pan with cardboard and tape the crap out of it so it stays attached to the kennel and poop doesn't get to the cardboard.

I was thinking if you could layer the bottom of the carrier so that you could (this would be tricky, but perhaps possible), a few times go back there and roll up a used layer, place that in one of the trash can liner bags you have handy so you can seal that off - so smell.

Also, Majestic recommends you wear very warm clothes and keep the vehicle as cool as you can stand it, with the windows open at least a bit if at all possible, so the ducks don't overheat.

The ducks will be nervous, so, yes, the poo is likely to be aromatic at least at first. I would recommend against many high-protein snacks during the trip. Protein seems to increase aroma.

From Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks first edition on choking:

Ducks will occasionally get feed caught in their throats. Normally, after a vigorous shaking of the head, the passageway is cleared and breathing returns to normal. However, sometimes a bird is unable to clear its throat and will suffocate if not promptly aided. When a duck obviously needs your assistance, pull its head forward until it is in a straight line with the neck, open the bill by squeezing with the thumb and index finger on both corners of the bill, and push your finger, a piece of 1/2-inch rubber tubing, or the eraser end of a new pencil down the bird's throat until the obstruction is dislodged.

Back
Top Bottom