Moving with the chickens

Blooming chicks

Songster
13 Years
Mar 4, 2008
Bucks County
We are moving in a couple of weeks to a farm about 3 hours from my current house and I was wondering if anyone had advise and/or experience relocating with chicks? I was thinking dog carriers? Any thoughts?

They are 2 months old (17 of them).

I moved 900 miles and it took 21 hours. I brought up 60 + birds. A box with air holes is best as when in the darkness the chickens just sleep and stress is reduced. Just make sure that if they are in the car with you that you maintain good ventilation for them.

They will definately be in the car with me...in the back seat next to my Son. A box (or boxes) it is then, sounds too easy! Thanks for the quick reply Napalongtail.

A 3 hour trip isn't that bad, but I do have a couple of thoughts.

Firstly, please make very sure those boxes cannot open if a chicken starts moving etc. Are their wings clipped? I'd do that before moving them.

Also, will there be a secure coop waiting for them when you arrive at the new place? If not, then you need an alternate plan. Such as cages. I moved mine in rabbit cages covered in hardware cloth, with clips to secure the doors, and other openings.

Good luck, and congratulations on your new place!
smile.png

Tutter, Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I do have a very nice coop with a covered outside run for them when we arrive. I didn't think about the wing clipping, but your right, it's a good idea. Thanks again!

I never transported chicks when we moved but I had to bring 4 adult bantam hens with me on a 11 hours trip north of Los Angeles. Sitting shotgun I had a couple towels on my lap and let my girls get comfy there for the ride. I would imagine as long and you have something you can keep the chicks *in* so they don't get out into the rest of the car and maybe a heating pad to put under it (if your location is chilly) to keep them warm they should do just fine. 3 hours isn't all that bad. And in normal temperature conditions 17 of them should have enough body heat to keep eachother well, esp at that age.

And as was said before... ventilation is key, lol. Just don't put all the windows totally open =p

Back
Top Bottom