Moving Young Chicks in with the older hens

ccat1

Chirping
Sep 3, 2015
I have 6 young chicks (3 months old) that are in the main run with the older hens. I have them separated and am feeding them Grower Crumbles.
The young chicks are getting really big and have been in that pen for about a month and I feel they could now blend in with the older hens.
My question is........Could I just offer the Grower crumbles to ALL hens and chicks, as when I blend them all together, the feed becomes an issue?
I have been told not to offer LAYER Crumbles until they start laying or at least around 5-6 months old. My other 3 older birds are 4-5 years old and one is laying every day. Would taking them off layer crumbles to the grower crumbles cause them any harm? I figure not but wanted wisdom from the froum.
Thank you in advance.

You can offer the Grower feed to all your chickens. Offer a calcium source like cracked oyster shells free-choice. This way the chickens take what they need. You should also be feeding back all your egg shells back to your hens.
If you run out of the grower crumbles, and have the layer feed only, it is also OK. It will not finish off your young chickens.
I feed Alflock to my hens. It is 2% calcium. Layer is 4%.
My reason is; I have layers, and non laying retired hens. This way I don't overdo their calcium intake. I always have the Oyster shells available free-choice. I have kept chickens for over 20 years, as pets, and my chickens live long lives. My oldest BTW was 13 years.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

Could I just offer the Grower crumbles to ALL hens and chicks, as when I blend them all together, the feed becomes an issue?
Yep.
Many folks here feed an 'all flock' formulation.
Just need to provide a source of calcium for the actively laying birds.
I use oyster shell, mixed with crushed egg shell if I have them, in a separate container.

Back
Top Bottom