Moxidextrin/Praziquantel (Quest-Plus) for tapeworms?

Pennys Mama

🦃Jake~Jake's 👩🏽‍⚕️Nurse & 🐣Hatchaholic
Oct 12, 2019
LeFlore County, Oklahoma
Is anybody familiar with the use of this product, Quest-Plus Equine Gel, to worm their chickens? The Farmers Coop didn't carry the Equimax that I was recommended. Wondering if anyone knows the dosing for chickens, is it the same as with the Equimax? It does still have praziquantel in it but contains moxidextrin instead of ivomec. Any & all input is appreciated.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony @azygous @dawg53 @Texas Kiki @R2elk @muddy75 @FortCluck
20191111_125529.jpg

Moxidectin has a much narrower margin of safety than ivermectin. The safe amount of moxidectin in that = 0.005 ml per pound, but the amount of praziquantel needed to treat tapes is that is 0.04 ml per pound.

Can you return it?
I don't know, it is unopened, just purchased today. I'll try to return it tomorrow.

Is anybody familiar with the use of this product, Quest-Plus Equine Gel, to worm their chickens? The Farmers Coop didn't carry the Equimax that I was recommended. Wondering if anyone knows the dosing for chickens, is it the same as with the Equimax? It does still have praziquantel in it but contains moxidextrin instead of ivomec. Any & all input is appreciated.
@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony @azygous @dawg53 @Texas Kiki @R2elk @muddy75 @FortCluck
View attachment 1957334
Do you not have a Tractor Supply close by?
If you do, then you should be able to find Equimax there.
This LINK mentions a few that you should be able to use.

You have been given excellent advice on your other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-please-help.1339281/

Do you not have a Tractor Supply close by?
If you do, then you should be able to find Equimax there.
This LINK mentions a few that you should be able to use.
You have been given excellent advice on your other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/worms-please-help.1339281/
There's not any close, over an hour away to 2 hours. I know, I do appreciate all the advice. I was just hopeful that this other medicine would've worked. Lesson learned, just go ahead and order the other one, right?

Did they have Zimectrin Gold? Equimax would be best, but you could use Zimetrin Gold, you just have to use twice as much.
They didn't have anything else with praziquantel in it.
I'll order it, it'll just take a bit to get here. Thanks y'all.

Back
Top Bottom