MPC Rainbow Special. What are we?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by GoodEnough, Nov 16, 2009.

1. GoodEnough

GoodEnough Out Of The Brooder

Oct 23, 2009
    Beautiful Idaho
    I have been trying to match up my chicks with the different breeds and I do not know enough to pick out the fine details to differentiate between similar breeds/colors. They are 5 weeks old. Any opinion as to what these are would be appreciated. I can take more pictures if need be. Thanks!

#1 Rainbow - currently reminds me of a vulture. Her adult feathers are all black except for white at her wing tips. The bottom of her feet are pink.
    [​IMG]

#2 Sparkles - What is the red one?
    [​IMG]

#3 I have a number of whatever these are. They are pretty wild despite being held daily.
    [​IMG]

#4 I have two buff colored chicks. The one in front is straight buff colored in her adult feathers. The one behind is kind of a runt. She has more speckling with black mixed into the tips of some of her wing feathers. Also if you have any input on the white one it would be appreciated. I have a number of them.
    [​IMG]

2. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    1st pic is a Black Australorp

2 is a RIRed/ production red

3 Brown Leghorn

4 the buff is a Buff Orpington, the other gold/buff looking one is prolly a NH or a red sex-link, and the whites are either Wt. Rocks or Wt. Leghorns probly (Rocks have red ear lobe, leghorns have white ear lobes).

catdaddy

3. ve

ve Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Palmetto GA
    Agree

4. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Me too!

5. GoodEnough

Oct 23, 2009
    Beautiful Idaho
    Quote:I was hoping #1 is an Australorp, but I wasn't sure because of the white wing tips. Is that just because she is production run?

By red or white earlobes are you referring to skin color or feathers? I was checking them out tonight and most of them are showing pink skin there.

Thanks for the input!

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Quote:I was hoping #1 is an Australorp, but I wasn't sure because of the white wing tips. Is that just because she is production run?

By red or white earlobes are you referring to skin color or feathers? I was checking them out tonight and most of them are showing pink skin there.

Thanks for the input!

Usually the white in the wings will molt out eventually around 8 to 10 wks of age this is called juvenile molt.

The ear lobes are the skin part just behind their wattles the little tuft of feathers are actually growing around the ear. If they are pink now they'll probly be red, look at the little brown leghorn pullet you posted the pic. of, you'll see her ear lobe starting to turn white. sometimes it takes a little while for the white to show up on some of the birds ears.

catdaddy

7. GoodEnough

Oct 23, 2009
    Beautiful Idaho
    Ok. I see what you are talking about on the brown leghorn. I looked at the others tonight and came to the conclusion I shall have to wait a little longer.

I thought the juvenile molt was when the chicks started getting their "big kid" feathers when they were a couple weeks old. No wonder it seemed so early! I'll eventually get this all figured out.

Thanks again catdaddy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by