1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MPC Rare Breed ID help?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rainwolfeh, Apr 7, 2016.

1. rainwolfeh

rainwolfeh Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2015
    Hello! When they were a few days old I posted a few of these chicks, but there were three who were sort of questionable, and now that some feathering has come in I figured I would post again! These chicks are 10 days old, from the My Pet Chicken Rare Breed assortment.

CHICK 1

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    - Very, very puffy cheeks and a fluffy head, extremely fluffy overall. Clean legs, the friendliest of the bunch.

CHICK 2

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chipmunk chick, has a mask and clean legs. Second friendliest, or at least brave.

CHICK 3

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

She is our total mystery chick. She looks sort of like a buff brahma chick - we have three of those - but she's much lighter and feathering in a bit differently? She has feathered legs and is sort of gray with a dorsal stripe and gold head. Could she still be a brahma or is there something else?

Thank you very much!

Last edited: Apr 7, 2016
  2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    First one a gold laced polish, the second a Sicilian buttercup, the last one I'm unsure.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    I would guess buff brahma on chick #3

4. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    Thank you!! Any other ideas on two and three?

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

#2 is definitely a Sicilian. I have two that are 4 1/2 weeks old now.
    #1 is Gold-laced Polish, I also have two, but they're only 2 1/2 weeks old.

I don't have a buff brahma, I have light brahmas; so I consider #3 a bit of a guess.

6. rainwolfeh

Mar 23, 2015
    That's so exciting, thank you very much!
    Two (along with one) is a keeper, so that's awesome to know what she is, there are so many chipmunky chicks my mom and I were stumped.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by