MPC Shipped to Wash State???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ~*Sweet Cheeks*~, Sep 14, 2009.

1. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    My first time to mail order chicks. Ordered the MPC 25 Pullet Rainbow Special shipping Mon, 9/21.

I got my confirmation email from MPC that they are shipping on 9/21 and no further contact will occur.

Told I wouldn't get a confirmation # upfront. Instructed to call MPC only if I don't get the chicks by Thurs, Sept 24th and only then will they call the hatchery to get a tracking #.

I just called my local PO to notify them that I'm expecting chicks and what should I do since my Mail Carrier isn't a PO employee but is contracted to deliver mail.

The PO told me that they are likely being shipped Express Mail and that would be a different provider then my normal mail carrier and she couldn't help me without a tracking number.

She said the PO here delivers chicks to your door and doesn't call folks to come pickup at the PO. YIKES - that makes me nervous.

Anyone from Olympia area order chicks from MPC recently? How did you get them?

Thank you so much.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  2. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I've ordered from several hatcheries, and the post office always does the same thing each time, at least in our area. As soon as they receive the chicks, usually around 6am, they call me on the phone (whatever phone number you put on your order), and then I go pick them up. They don't leave a note in your box or anything. The phone call is the only notification, so if you don't check your messages, you could miss it! The other option is easier and that is just to go to the post office the morning after the chicks are shipped, and if they're not there (we usually hear the peeping if they're in the post office as soon as we walk in the door), then check again the next morning. Usually we get ours on the 2nd day after they ship (Wednesday if they ship Monday), but sometimes they could arrive by Tuesday. Good luck!

3. TinyBirds

TinyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2009
    Texas
    I just realized your message said your post office doesn't call you. That's crazy! Then I guess if that's the case you'll have to wait at your house for 2 days just in case they show up. You might still try driving to the post office both days too, just in case that person was wrong. Or at least call them if they have a local phone. I would expect Wednesday morning to be the day/time of arrival though, so if you don't have them in your hands by Wed afternoon, I would really start worrying at that point. If they arrive Tues and you don't get them until Wed, that's still okay since they're usually totally fine w/ a 2-day timeframe before getting home. I haven't had any arrive later than the 2-day timeframe so I'm not sure if they would be okay that long. So far we had no chicks die in the mail, other than some ducks and turkeys, which are more fragile in shipping even if they ship fast.

4. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    UPDATE:

I am feeling so much better today about my order.

I decided to call the Post Office again to see if perhaps when I called the 1-800# listed in the phone book for my local PO, wasn't my local at all but US wide customer service and that's why I was told my chicks would be delivered to my door rather then me picking them up. SURE ENOUGH.

I got the direct number for local PO and was told they will call me when they arrive.

OK - now I just have to be patient for one more week.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by