1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

MR COOPER IS HERE

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 33yardbirds, Sep 19, 2012.

1. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    The Coopers Hawk migration has begun. Had two attempts in 3 days. Swing and a miss. These are the poorest air assault hawks I have ever seen. Still the crew is put up in the coop and covered run until about mid October.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Assaults you observed may be similar to what I observed this morning involving a male sharp-shinned and a group of about 8 bluejays. Hawks were essentially playing. In my case hawk had clear air superiority but wanted to perch where it could apparently watch for starlings in a bush a couple hundred feet away. Every time hawk perched, jays flew up tree and got above hawk then began to mob hawk. As soon as hawk got into air it chased the slightly smaller jays down into lower branches of tree where jays could then run it out. Hawk would then quickly resume the elevated perch where process began anew. Process repeated for a good 20 minutes before hawk began flying south again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by