Mr girls like my home better than theirs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dturren, Jul 23, 2008.

1. dturren

dturren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    I have three Wyandotte hens who follow me everywhere, including into my home. They come in, peck around the carpet and then sit in the corner, prining their feathers, and making the most happy sounds I've heard. I really don't mind them in the house. I wait until I see three or four poops and then pick them up. It doesn't bother me. Does anyone else allow their hens into their home?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    There are a lot of house chickens here...

your girls need diapers and then they could stay in all the time

[​IMG]

3. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    My girls will venture into the kitchen if they see me in there. Of course, I'm a terrible person and I reward the bad behavior with treats.
    [​IMG]

They don't go beyond where the floor changes from linoleum to hardwood. I think it's because when they were baby chicks they weren't allowed onto the hardwood floors (and sisal rugs!).

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My chickens have "snuck" in the house on a couple of occasions. Some chickens just like to be with their people!

5. dturren

dturren Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    My girls seem to like to be with me. One morning I was walking down the deck stairs into the yard and all three adult chickens flew to my feet from across the yard. I was a little taken aback. It was quite an experience having three large birds fly right straight to my feet. I can't go into the yard without them making a beeline for me. I am so flattered. I don't always give them treats...sometimes I do. (Maybe that's the reason.)

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Yes get diapers! Let them in all the time [​IMG] I want a house chicken! Humm, I wonder if I can talk hubby into THAT one!?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by