1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mr Jake Begins to Crow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tenneesse, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Tenneesse

Tenneesse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Woodbury, Middle Tn
    We were just wondering when he would begin to crow. He is 2 days short of 5 months old and today he's started crowin up a storm. The alpha rooster didn't seemed too impressed but we thought it was a fun moment. He's still carrying on. A little weak at first but an hour later he seems to have the hand of it.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Isn't it fun hearing them practice crowing? And they all start at different ages. Recently, I raised some bantam cochins, and I had a chick start to crow at such a young age, he would stretch his tiny neck and squeak! Sounded silly!

And I also had a BCM rooster that only crowed half a crow....It was like "COCK A DOODLE....." and that was it. He never did do a full cockadoodledoo.

I personally love the sound of a rooster crowing in the morning.

3. Tenneesse

Tenneesse Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2010
    Woodbury, Middle Tn
    I usually wake up when he starts, all too often its 2 a.m. Not for very long I think maybe he senses something outside the coop then almost always at about 5:30 a.m. then when one of his hens goes to the box to lay an egg he'll holler off and on until she returns then another goes to lay and he carries on just letting the hen know where they are at (they range). Its fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by