1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mr. Joy has passed away...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by heavypetting, Jan 8, 2009.

1. heavypetting

heavypetting Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2007
    Charlotte, NC
    I am sad to report that Mr. Henry Joy, gentleman rooster, therapy chicken and beloved friend, passed away peacefully Thu. Jan. 8,th 2009. In his 9 years of life, he touched many lives proving that when it comes to love, neither size nor species are important.

Mr. Joy had a special knack for making people smile. He loved riding in his tiny basket, meeting people all over North Carolina at charity fundraisers, art galleries and pet parades. He reached a worldwide audience through his website www.mrjoy.net, with fans as far away as New Zealand that appreciated his special charm and message of animal sentience. Mr. Joy helped enlighten many folks to the plight of chickens raised in factory farms but he may be most well known for his work as a therapy pet. Mr. Joy visited nursing homes and assisted living centers locally bringing smiles and laughter to many elderly and disabled residents. His therapy work gained nationwide attention through television, radio and newspaper stories allowing him to reach an even wider audience.

Although he had a busy ‘work’ schedule, Mr. Joy spent plenty of down time, just being a chicken. Mr. Joy leaves behind his adoring wives, Henrietta and BeBe and two human parents who were blessed to know him.

2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

I'm so sorry to hear of Mr. Joy's passing; he was indeed a very special chicken that brought "joy" to a lot of hearts, and smiles to a lot of faces. He will be sorely missed.

3. onebuggirl

onebuggirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    R.I.P. Mr. H. Joy. You sound like a really cool roo!

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry he's gone. He will be missed...

[​IMG]

5. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    I was one of Mr. Joy's fans... He will be very missed. [​IMG]

6. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My sincere condolences. [​IMG]

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Oh poor Mr. Joy and his owner. He was a special boy. I had his picture on the office fridge for a few months. He was in his Halloween costume - an apron with "Eat People" smeared on it like blood marks. What a character.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    What sad news! I'm so sorry to hear that! He brought so much happiness to the world. He will be missed by many, in addition to his loving family. [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    So sorry about the passing of your Mr. Joy. He really sounds like he was a fabulous and one-of-a-kind rooster. [​IMG]

10. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    I checked out mr. joy's page and he was a one of a kind roo. such a handsome man! i'm sorry to hear he has gone, but he left this world a much sweeter place. people who have met him will talk about him for years to come. i see your do photography, i'm in kingsport tn. NE tenn. and i was wondering if you would take some sweet pics of my gals since you do such wonderful work. let me know if it's somthing you'd be interested in. i have tried but my photography skills are def. sup par! sorry again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by