Mr. Racoon... I'm Going to Get You.....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by DragonEggs, Jul 9, 2010.

1. DragonEggs

DragonEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2010
    Borger, TX
    Looks like a raccoon got one of my birds. I had some 6 and 7 week old birds that were too small for the big pen outside in a smaller cage. They were just small enough to squeeze through the wire of the big pen and I was gonna wait another week and try again. The cage I had them in was a large dog crate with small bars they couldn't squeeze through. I had some seramas, an OEGB and a SL Polish in there. This morning when I went to check on them there were only seramas. The other 2 were gone. Upon closer inspecion I saw a square of the cage where a bunch of black feathers were stuck to the bars and there were a few black feathers on the outside of this spot of the cage. They were clearly the feathers from the polish. I couldn't find any bodies or anyore feathers anywhere. I know there aren't any stray cats in this neighborhood either. Sounds like a Raccoon to me.

2. detali

detali Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2009
    Sounds like a raccoon to me too.

3. Chickiemama1010

Chickiemama1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    Sullivan
    whats going on here! theres like 5 or 6 active posts just toay from losses to coons. I lost a few as well. %*#[email protected] raccoons! I just sighted in my night vision scope to kill the coon thats been visiting my coop the last few nights and leaving with a belly full of my birds. Good luck to you! hope you get the sonofagun

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Invest in a live trap or borrow one if you can.I have caught 2 here within the last couple week's.They will work the wire like Houdini's to get in .I just lost 4 gorgeous Millie Fluer's and bantam columbian wyandotte hadn't really had the time to reset much this week with everything here but will get more I'm sure.Put some Tuna or cat food in i caught last one on plain bread and smell of one of my poor millie carcass that was left from first catch .Good Luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by