Mr. Snuffles? What to do? Is she a roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by avalentine, Nov 10, 2011.

1. avalentine

avalentine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    Hello all! We decided to keep a little flock at the K-8 school where I work, so this fall a peeping box with 6 supposed female chicks was delivered. They are now 11 weeks old and pretty darn sweet. We have 2 buff orpingtons, 2 silver laced wyandottes and 2 easter eggers. The kids have named them, and somehow intuitively named our whiteish easter egger Mr. Snuffles....

The city only gave us permission to have 6 hens, but this morning there was some crowing from the suspiciously roo-looking Mr. Snuffles... can anyone confirm that he is indeed a roo? I would actually love to have a roo as long as he is gentle with the kids and the ladies...so the follow-up question is can I test for gentleness? So far we haven't had any probs, although he is not the most loving of the flock...

Here are some pics- the probable roo is white with dark markings.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Mr. Snuffles is most definitely a cockerel. As far as gentleness, I don't think there's a test you can do -- it really just depends on the bird. And time can change things, like it did with my last rooster. He was a huge baby, loved to sit on my lap, followed me around, and last December he turned mean and started attacking everything that walked. So I'd say time will tell.

3. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I agree.. There is no doubt in my mind that that one is a cockerel.

He's beautiful.. I wish everyone could keep their nice roos [​IMG]

4. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    The large, red comb combined with the pointy saddle and hackle feathers all point to roo.

5. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    That is in fact a roo. I had one who looked EXACTLY like him, mine was the sweetest of all our chickens. Had to give him away.
    he resemblance is uncanny
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    Pretty boy!

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Mr Snuffles is a cockerel. Just monitor his behavior as he matures, and if he becomes human aggressive [​IMG]. It's not worth taking chances with an aggressive rooster around children.

8. avalentine

avalentine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2011
    San Francisco
    Thank you all! I know we aren't supposed to have a rooster but I am hoping we can keep him... If he behaves well and the neighbors don't complain I am going to do my darndest to make a case for it... I am a little worried about catching human aggression early enough to ward off any kid incident, though, and I suspect the administration will be worried for the same reason...

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Generally there will be indicators before he goes into full blown attack mode. Wing dancing, hackle flaring, pecking at the ground while 'eyeballing' you, frequent crowing and wing flapping while 'eyeballing' you are just some of these indicators.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  10. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

First of all... [​IMG]

Secondly, yup Roo.

But, Mostly, I'M JEALOUS!! My principal wouldn't even consider letting me start "Chicken Club" (hee hee, get it chicken club??) this year, "allergies, diseases" etc. She hates me too, so that didn't help. We even have an agriculture teacher including goats, sheep, cows and horses. Middle School, btw.

Good luck with keeping him, you have a very nice flock. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by