1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mr Speckles F1s Jubilee project - updated w/ lots of pics 8 wks old

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by hinkjc, Apr 10, 2009.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    We moved the Mr.Speckles babies outside to their new coop yesterday. They were really scared and will still get a heat lamp out there until our crazy weather gets more consistent, but thought you'd like to see some updated pics. For those who aren't familiar, these are some of our jubilee project birds. We did our first selections and banded some anticipated keepers to continue our work. I will also monitor for body conformation as we continue. I'm really happy because I've already found a local pet home for the pullets we will cull from the project. Enjoy the pics!

editing to add a link to dh's page on the projects, so you can see Mr Speckles: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=478-project-jubilee-mottled-orps

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 10, 2009
  2. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    [​IMG] Your project looks wonderful so far!!! Keep up the great work!

3. farmgirlie1031

farmgirlie1031 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    IA
    Those look like really really nice birds.

4. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    Looks like you're getting the color...how do you go about keeping the body type? I'm really interested in these projects..

5. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    sorry i must have missed it...what are you crossing to end up with a "jubilee"? I am very interested in all the projects you have going.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

[​IMG]

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The type will be a work in progress through heavy selection and culling.

We used a speckled sussex roo over black orpington hens that carry the mottling gene (from another mottled line we're working on) to produce these chicks.

Katy, aren't they beautiful! Notice the red on some of the roos. There are lots of girls with red on their plumage as well, but it is much less obvious except upon close inspection. I am really pleased with the outcome so far and can't wait till they are grown up. [​IMG]

8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I saw the red on some of the roos. Looks like you're well on the way. Needless to say, I'm very excited!!! [​IMG]

9. Nivrocco

Nivrocco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    S.W. VA
    I'd like to say that I enjoy your projects and your dedication, I am hoping to eventually have a few projects of my own. I may look to you for advice...providing you don't mind..[​IMG]

10. Krys109uk

Krys109uk Chillin' With My Peeps

You've certainly got a bit of mottling showing though on some.
    What will you be doing next in the next generation & what results do you expect to get? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by