Mr. T turned out to be Mrs. She

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by alaskachick, Jun 30, 2010.

1. alaskachick

alaskachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Hi. My so called roo is not a roo. I bought a roo and 10 pullets at 10 weeks. Now its 14 weeks and all chickens are gals.
    Now I need to put a roo in with the girls. Is it okay to put a younger roo in? Is it okay to put an older roo in? I don't know the behavior of chickens being introduced to a new rooster. I wonder if it is even necessary. I 'm not in it for chicks, but only for laying. At what point do the chickens need a rooster for behavioral needs and staying happy?

7 Delawares, 2 Red sex links, and 2 white leghorns

2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    They don't NEED a roo if you're not looking to produce chicks. A roo is nice though if you plan on free ranging as he will look after them and help herd them in at the end of the day....but it's not necessary.

I am all for giving a roo a home if you can. So many find themselves unwanted [​IMG] so if you have room, are allowed, and don't mind the crowing I'd find one close to the same age as the pullets you have,
    meaning up to two weeks younger or older. Check Craigslist. Right now lots of them are showing up because there are a lot of people that aren't allowed to have them and ended up with one. Just make
    sure you quarantine it for 30 days before putting it in with your girls.

Let's here it for the boys!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. wenlo

wenlo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    I was sad to give my roo up, my girls were lost for a couple of days without him. I will say that they have done a fine job of finding their way back to the coop on their own. The dominant hens have taken over. If you can have a rooster though, go for it - they are just beautiful.

4. Naughty

Naughty Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2010
    Wichita
    I know the feeling - my "elmo" ended up being a hen - and I ended up w/ 2 roosters - (proven by the crowing at each other!) I dont know which one I am going to give up - they are both so pretty - maybe they will be the rare roosters that actually get along... dare to dream?

Luckily the boys ended up being the ones with at least the semi-appropriate names - Montana and Naughty... lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by