Mrs AK Bird Brain Silkies are HATCHING:)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by snowydiamonds, Oct 22, 2008.

1. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

1st one hatched and dried off by the time I got off work tonight, I saw it at 6:52pm and brought it inside as the smaller grey hen jumped out of the nest to eat when I added more feed to the feeder and the chick felt cold, was peeping.

Its been sleeping all night, every time I check on it and I went outside to check for more but all's quiet, everyone sleeping so I'd best just leave them alone and check again in the morning.

I plan to move them into their own coop so the bantams can enjoy their new coop and outside time during the day while the silkie chicks and their surrogate moms share half of the biggest and just done coop safely.

I'm guessing by the third day when the chicks need feed and water, they should be in their safe coop? I say safe because the original owner of my bantam flock says his/my hens have fought over chicks and he's always had to separate them into cages with a chick apiece.

I'm new at this so any suggestions and guidance is much appreciated, I'm sure these eggs would not have hatched if I'd incubated them instead of my hens!

Thank you, Tori, you now have grandsilkies at the End of The Iditarod Trail;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    What do I do? Do I remove the egg shells from beneath the hen? Does she do something w/them? Do I just leave them alone until three days and then move them so they can get to water and feed? I don't think they can get out of the nest box do you? Should they have a box that they can just go in and out of that has no barrier (that is used for privacy and containing eggs)? Do I throw the feed into a chick feeder or on the floor of the coop? When I ordered chicks I used chick feeders and waterers, dipped their beaks. Does the hen show them by example?

It was easy when I pretended to be the moma but now I'm trying to allow them a real moma hen...and these ones get feisty, kicking, scratching at the floor like a bull seeing a red flag and growling when they had chicks when I first got them last summer...and those chicks were a week old, not NEWBORNS! And now the hens know me so maybe they'll be easier in our relationship? Maybe they'll share them easier w/me???
    Here's where they are now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 22, 2008
  2. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Oh how precious! Congrats! [​IMG] Keep us posted on the others, with more pics. Good luck with the rest of the hatch! [​IMG]

3. snowydiamonds

:/its 1am and I'm going out to the coop to see if any more are hatched...

4. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

As for taking care of them, momma hen will bring them out of the nest when it's time. She is the absolute best at taking care of her young. The only thing I might would do is put a ramp on the front of the nest box so when she takes them for their first outing, they don't fall out of the nest and injure themselves. She will take them to food and water and show them what to do. She'll also take care of the egg shells in the nest. The best thing is just to leave her be with them. And as for the ramp, just lean it up to the nest box...don't bother attaching it. The more you disturb her, the more stressed she will be, thus more protective she'll be. Good luck! And just relax, sit back, and let momma hen do all the work!

5. snowydiamonds

okay, Thanks, Shelleyb
    I went out there intending to lift up both hens to have a look but its dark in the boxes, the light is around the corner over the water and the youngsters were up eating and drinking, talking quiet to me. The adults stayed on the roosts watching me so I talked to everyone and they were all calm-no chirping from newborn chicks, just my three youngest chirping and they are looking big to me all of a sudden!

The new chick in the house is already showing the topknotch hairdo:) One of the chicks will go to be a house pet for the lady who she and her DH gave me their banty flock. The others will stay w/me. She had a hen 17 years as a house pet and misses having one.

Better give it up for the night, more excitement to come... these eggs/chicks are from EmmyLou, Becky & Elvis or Georgia, Tori will remember;) 2am and I don't at the moment!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Woo hoo!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Cuties!!! Are they both pictures of the same chick?
    Congratulations! I now have grandbabies in Nome!!! [​IMG]

7. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Very cute!

8. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I guess it depends on whether momma attacks you when you reach for the nest... I usually pull out the egg shells to give them all more room, but Elvis is pretty amenable to that. [​IMG] I have a separate 4x4' pen that I put broody hens and their chicks in, with shavings, completely separate from the other girls. This time I let her hatch them, then after a couple of days I moved them to the brooder with the rest of the hatchlings and put Elvis back into the general population again. She kept trying to set, though, so I had to cover the nest for a couple of days until she figured it out. She was NOT happy. [​IMG]

9. snowydiamonds

I had to drive home and check on an update from the hens;)

Blue hen, I lifted her and there is one egg zipped, will most likely have come out of shell by the time I either get off work or more likely, when I take another break to go check on things!

Buff hen, I did NOT lift her because there is chirping going on in her nestbox and at least three bulges in unlikely places on her and in her feathers, chicks nestled in her for warmth:D She's the smart hen who tucks eggs she's laid or other hens lay under her wings so when I go to collect their eggs for eating, she's holding onto secretly...not taking any chances on accidently dropping a chick so I'm not sure how many of the 9 eggs have hatched yet and what colors the chicks are.

So far Tori, fertility and hatching reliably, on time! I was going to move them to their own area but on thinking this over, it might be safer to move the main banty flock to the other half of the newest and biggest coop (next door to the banty coop) and leave the mama's and chicks in the smaller coop.

I have sad news, the first chick to hatch died during the night! It had a dark dried area on the right side of its face and I was hoping that was only from the egg or something but it looked more like an injury, possibly the blue hen stepped on it when she jumped out last night in a hurry to eat. She's a smaller hen.

In future, I'm going to try to ensure the bigger hens have the privilege of hatching instead of the smaller ones of the banties. I think the bigger banty hens would be able to cover all the eggs, the chicks, defend them more easily than the smaller hens from all the hens wanting to mother the chicks.

The 3 Buff Rock, the Pheasant and the 2 Speckled banty hens are all larger or plumper than the black, the 2 Blue and the two Porcelain/white hens.

Might get some pics this evening...

10. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    :aww I'm so sorry Cheryl. Is she a first time mother? Sometimes they just don't know what to do with those noisy little boogers. [​IMG]
    It sounds like you have a few more, though... [​IMG] I'm so happy for you!!!

BTW.. they were from EmmyLou (blue bearded), Becky (blue non-bearded), and Georgia (White bearded)... but, 3 possible daddies, so blue, white and lavender are possible. Lavender not as likely, yet, but perhaps a washed out version, I suppose. I can't wait to get black silkies from BamaChicken in the Spring to work on my lavender project!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by