Mrs. Butterworth and her bad butt feather pecking habit!

mrskenmore

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 21, 2014
Long Island, NY
Meet Mrs. Butterworth...
20221027_155037.jpg

A nine month barred plymouth rock hen. Sister of eight of mixed flock mates, also all hens.

Mrs. Butterworth was a delight as a chick, she was sweet, smart and curious. She integrated nicely with her five other chicks and eventually into the coop with a few older girls. Everyone gets along and it is a very very sweet flock that I am quite enjoying as I have been keeping chickens for 9 years.

A few months ago.. I began to notice that as my beauties free ranged, foraged or enjoyed digging in the dirt that they were, well, looking a little bare in the derriere! All but one 🤔 ... yup, you guessed it Mrs. Butterworth had a fluffy butt Friday to be envious of. I realized quickly she was not at innocent or as sweet as her name suggests.

She pecks at butt feathers much to the dismay of other girls and then eats the feathers 🪶 🙄. I need to do something to rectify this matter. There is more than enough food, water, space and perches. Several times a week they free range in a large fenced in pen and a few times a week in the greater backyard supervised. How can I stop this? I give mealworms (as an occasional treat), an organic soy free layer pellet and scratch (also as an occasional treat) I feel like she has ample space, and I have noticed she won't eat feathers on the ground. She is interested in picking and eating only in the rear!

As a result, my 3 year Partridge plymouth rock flock leader, Olivia Jade has started to mount Mrs. Butterworth and peck her comb to assert her distaste for this possibly. I want all of my girls to have beautiful rears!

Do I separate Mrs. Butterworth? Is there a spray I can get? Pinless peepers seem mean, but literally noone has any feathers in their rear and it's awful. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!!!

Pin Less Peepers can be used to stop this bad habit, and once the flock has regrown feathers they can be removed, and sometimes the habit is broken. Have you tried protein supplementation ?

Pin Less Peepers can be used to stop this bad habit, and once the flock has regrown feathers they can be removed, and sometimes the habit is broken. Have you tried protein supplementation ?
Thanks for your comment, I have not tried protein supplementation, what do you recommend? She is obviously lacking protein since she is picking and eating. How long will the flock take to regrown the feathers you think?

Sardines or cat food are used by some for supplementation. They may have to go through a molt before growing feathers if the feathers have been broken off leaving stubs. If feathers have been fully removed they will refeather more rapidly.

Sardines or cat food are used by some for supplementation. They may have to go through a molt before growing feathers if the feathers have been broken off leaving stubs. If feathers have been fully removed they will refeather more rapidly.
Sardines just to Mrs. B? Or you think the whole flock?

The sardines sadly did not work... I ordered nu-stock ointment for the bare bums as well as a high protein feather fixer feed... will keep you all posted!

Not really, I am going to focus on switching their feed to 20% protein and supplements. Also going to work on some coop modifications.

Back
Top Bottom