Mrs. Howell has a tummy ache

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by hbmomma, Mar 15, 2013.

1. hbmomma

hbmomma New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Mrs. Howell seems to be having tummy troubles. For the last 4 days she wants to eat and doesn't want to eat at the same time. When she eats her tummy makes a gurgling sound, the same sound a human's makes when they are hungry. She was throwing up brownish-clear liquid until today. Her comb is beautiful bright red, and her stools look normal, but small. Yesterday she ate a huge beetle grub, kept it down, however threw up some of the liquid a little later. She pecks around at the ground interested in food when she is in the yard and house. Otherwise she seems O.K. She has been inside, when she was outside she stayed away from the other hens and put her tail down. :( Suggestions?

2. Toshi

Toshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    IN corn state
    You might want to try posting in the Emergencies/Diseases/Injuries & Curses thread.

3. hbmomma

hbmomma New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Mrs. Howell is all better now, thank you. I believe she ate a long piece of grass that was giving her problems. Thank you for the advice to post under "Emergencies..." thread, I will do that next time.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Impacted crop.

5. hbmomma

hbmomma New Egg

Mar 15, 2013
    Her crop was empty during her "crisis", otherwise that would have been my first guess as well. I think it was something she ate not being swallowed properly. She is all better now - chickens are so resilient!
    Thank you for the response!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by