Mrs. Wiffle Has a Broken Leg :(

Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Crowing
12 Years
Apr 26, 2007
Fair Oaks, California
Mrs. Wiffle is my very first duck, born April 25th (my birthday) last year. She's a beautiful Cayuga. i had to help her out of the egg, as her top bill is deformed. She seemed fine until sometime last year, perhaps around 8 months old, when she seemed to have trouble walking very far. My vet couldn't find anything wrong, so put her on metacam for pain. She did a lot better, although still not as strong as my other ducks. Friday i noticed she was limping very badly. Brought her inside until yesterday when i could get her to my vet who is a duck expert. After many x-rays, she found that her right leg is broken, way up high on the leg where the ball joint meets the pelvis. Instead of a straight line, that bone looks like an "X". She is perplexed how that happened, as am i. She said she's seen that type of injury after an attack, but it doesn't tend to happen with casual trips or falls.

She's running bloodwork to see if there is a metabolic issue that may be causing brittle bones. i am suspecting there is. We should have the results sometime today. i feel so bad for Mrs. Wiffle. She's such a sweet duck.
sad.png

i only have some partial news. My vet said she got the results but not the ranges, which can differ by species. But she did say it looked like a problem with the liver. She also said the white blood count was up. We do have her on antibiotics, as the x-ray showed some shading in the lung area. My vet is supposed to call me back today when she gets those ranges.

Mrs. Wiffle is eating a little bit. i can tell she hurts a lot. The bath tub therapy seems to help. i guess we'll just take it day by day.

My husband and i are thinking, she has that deformed beak, so things didn't develop quite right inside the egg. Perhaps other organs didn't develop like they should have either. Arg - anxious to get more information today.

Quote:
I think this is a valid theory. Also, if you hadn't helped her out of the egg, it sounds like she never would've hatched/survived. (not saying you were wrong, just saying nature has a way of "weeding out" the weak ones)

Please keep us updated on her. Poor thing. I can tell you love her a lot. She is very lucky to have you!

Back
Top Bottom