MT HEALTHY Bargain #3

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Cabotchick, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Cabotchick

Cabotchick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Has anyone ordered this. I have ordered from hatchereies in the past and plan on ordering straigh pukllets too but thought about trying this too., Just wondering what everyone got if they ordered it. I am planning on doing the Cackle surprise later this years from the HUGE response i saw from someone elses post on here yesterday.

2. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Never ordered the bargain but Mt. Healthy was where I got my first chickens from and I highly recommend them, especially if they are being used for production purposes. I've ordered the bantam grab bag and got silver duckwing and pyle Old English, silver and gold Sebrights, Welsummer bantams, white Leghorn bantams, porcelain d'Uccles and Silkies so I will guess that they will send you quite a variety!

3. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    I've never ordered any bargains from Mt Healthy, but I did just order 15 straight run "Buff Orpingtons" from Mt Healthy and I've heard some very good things about them.

4. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Mt Healthy supplies our local Tractor Supply which is where i got my production rir's last year. By the time i had convinced the hubby to let me get chicks i had to wait for the very last shipment to arrive. I didn't know much about chicken breeds at the time but some little black chicks were looking really bad when i first went to get some. I asked if any more chicks would be in which is why i ended up being there when the doors opened for the last shipment. I think they lost most of the tiny black babies but the last shipment all chicks were perky. Welp hatchery doesn't charge a separate shipping fee and chick prices are about the same as others but minimums are 5 per breed and 25 or 30 total.

5. gg706

gg706 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Mt Healthy has had issues with Salmonella. I was going to order from them, but changed my mind after several told me about the Salmonella. From what I hear they have had it multiple times. Not saying don't order from them. Just research it and make an informed decision. We eat alot of over easy eggs, and the kids get into the cookie dough sometimes, so it was too much of a risk for me.

6. joanie_maine

joanie_maine Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    Temple, ME
    Mt Healthy supplies our local Farmers Union - their chicks are just fine.

I noticed that the chicks at our local Tractor Supply were not managed well by the staff and looked BAD. I told them their chicks were cold, but they didn't seem to understand :(

Alot depends on how the store cares for the birds

7. Cabotchick

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks. Maine is no place to have unwell cared for chicks. I grew up on the Maine NH border. Keep those chickies warm.

8. Cabotchick

Jan 10, 2013
    Thanks. Maine is no place to have unwell cared for chicks. I grew up on the Maine NH border. Keep those chickies warm.

9. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    The TSC folks often have no clue about chickens. When I've gotten chicks there in the past, they haven't even known which variety was which.

I've decided not to get chicks there again because I worry about disease transmission. Since they didn't even know the difference between the meaties and the layer chicks, and didn't know how to catch chicks, they had me catch my own. On the way home I realized that if I was allowed to stick my arm in there, so was everyone else, and that's a huge disease transmission risk. I got lucky that time, but I'm not taking the chance again.

10. Cknldy

Cknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2012
    Appalachian mtns
    Our TSC is lucky to have a young woman that has chickens herself. We talked a bit about it and she has over 25 herself, always finds her way to tending the chicks during chick days. Our extension office person told me folks do complain about getting chicks that weren't what they were supposed to be cuz sometimes TSC folks put last stragglers in tubs with others, especially if the person doesn't know chicks from diff breeds can look similar. It's a trade off for not having to ship home but hatchery mistakes happen too i guess. I really want to order but hubby may not take so well to 15/25 at once! I first saw minimums and thought 'I couldn't possibly want that many'... then i researched breeds and well, u know how it goes!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by