Mt Healthy Chick hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by gapeachy, Jan 6, 2009.

1. gapeachy

gapeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Rome Ga
    I know we all have different views on the hatcheries but I found one called Mt Healthy......anybody ordered from them?....they really have good prices and for every 50 chicks you buy you get 25 free....I am thinking about getting 100 st run assorted....

2. 1acrefarm

1acrefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2007
    Georgia
    The feed store I use orders from them. Most of my chickens came from them and I am happy.

3. WRRgator

WRRgator Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2009
    I run a feed store here in FL & we buy our chicks from them. Very helpful website & customer service. We have been extremely happy with their babies.

4. camjac

camjac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Northeast Ohio
    My feed mill will pool orders to get to the minimum and they order from Mt. Healthy. They were very active chicks when I received them and they have done very well! They just started laying on Dec. 15 and for the past 2 weeks I have 5 eggs a day from 5 chickens!

5. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    I ordered directly from them. Drove to the hatchery in Ohio (2 hour drive from where I am in Indiana). You can "carry out" orders of less than 25 and I ordered 6 pullets. Problem: I GOT 6 cockerels. VERY dissapointing considering I spent 4 hours driving/gas prices, cost of feed and brooding. They didn't believe me at first when I contacted them telling them I had 6 cockerels. I was really distraught. After about a week, they gave in and refunded my money. They were healthy chicks.

That is my experience.

Edited to say that if you are ordering straight run, I expect you will be happy with the quality.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  6. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    My feed store orders from them so I got my first batch this spring. Ordered 12 pullets and ended up with one roo but I figure that's par for the course. All the chicks were exceptionally lively and practically dove out of the box when I got them home. No health problems, all the breeds I asked for were there, and I'm already planning what I'm going to order this spring. I'll still have the feed store do it as I don't have need/space for 25 chicks at a time but I will say I was definitely pleased.

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i was VERY pleased with them. i ordered and received 182 very healthy chicks.
    i would highly recommend them. the customer service was great.

8. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    Several of my hens came from Mt. Healthy. Two of them, a Barred Rock and a White Rock I got as chicks in April of 2005. They are still going strong and laying regularly.

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    A friend of mine ordered from them and will never go back. He ordered pullets and got straight run (50/50) and it was a hassle to get a refund. Most of the roosters were non-standard and seemed more like cross breeds. All were healthy though, but in the end he only ended up with less than half his order (due to all the roos) and then sent more off to pet homes because of poor breed quality. If I recall, he got rid of one breed entirely.

10. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I guess I should add I didn't order from them myself. Mine came from either the feed store who buys theirs from Mt. Healthy or ready to lay pullets from folkes who bought from Mt. Healthy.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by