Mt Healthy Chicks, particularly Wyandottes

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by amartinlb, Apr 4, 2009.

1. amartinlb

amartinlb Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Does anybody have any pictures of chicks from Mt Healthy Hatchery, particularly the Silver Laced and Gold Laced Wyandottes?

Thanks,
    -Anna

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  2. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Anyone?

3. craftymomto5

craftymomto5 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    Did you want to know the quality of them? I live about 35-40 minutes from them and am thinking about going there to get cochins and australorps if I can find anyone who has any for sale.

4. Superman11383

Superman11383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Bunnell, Florida
    my buddy ordered 25 silver laced from Mt. healty and the 5 that he has left are beautiful. His rooster is HUMONGOUS. I don't think it was the hatcheries fault that the birds died, I believe he told me preditors started picking them off one at a time before he built the covered run.

5. turtleblossom

turtleblossom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2008
    Kentucky
    I have a SLW from Mt. Healthy, and also a SLW I got from a breeder. When comparing the two, the Mt. H hen does not measure up. Sure she is silver laced, and has the correct leg color and comb type, but the two birds are very different. While my SLW from the breeder is very round in apperarence, the other hen is shaped like all my other hatchery hens.

6. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Quote:Do you have a photo of both of yours for comparison? I'm not looking for a show quality one but just a decent one that's all.

Thanks in advance,
    -Anna

7. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Quote:Does he have any photos?

-Anna

8. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Anyone?

9. greathorse

greathorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Northern Colorado
    I dont have pictures of any SLW either, but I do know that if you want to see some good ones you can go to Backwoodspoultryfarm.com and there are some very good photo's there.

Questions are frequently asked about how hathery stuff compares to small breeder "potential show stock" and I can tell you in most cases the differences are night and day. I have a fair amount of hatchery stock left and as they go past their productive time I will no longer have them. Not because they have not provided me with eggs and a sense of pleasure by having them, but because as I gain more knowledge about different breeds it becomes more important to me to have the more representative stock.

It costs a couple more dollars per bird for the breeder type, but we all quickly learn that the cost of the bird is a small part of the equation when it comes to raising birds.

If you never care to hatch eggs. you might be just as happy as can be with hatchery stock. But if you have an interest in hatching I would encourage you to head down the path of the breeder stock.

Looking at the two side by side today in a photograh can give yoiu a bit of information, but as you gain more experience in looking at birds you will see vast differences.

Just a bit of input from someone that has been there.

"I want to enjoy looking at the stuff I feed" Feed costs the same for great stock as it does for the average stuff.

10. amartinlb

Mar 17, 2009
    Jersey Shore
    Thanks to everyone who replied.

Well, I drove the two hours to pick up 3 Silver Laced and 3 Gold Laced Wyandotte pullets from a feed store that just got them in yesterday from Mt Healthy.

Time will tell I guess how they turn out. Two of them are already getting feathers, and I bet they were just hatched either last Friday or Saturday! Too bad I can't tell them apart which are GLW and which are SLW...I have a theory though that the ones with the more gray are the SLW and the ones with more yellow are the GLW... Could be wrong though!

~Anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by