Mt. Healthy Hatcheries

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BearSwampChick, Jan 10, 2008.

1. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Does anyone have experience with Mt. Healthy Hatcheries near Cincinnati?

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
  3. Rebel Chicken

Rebel Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2007
    southern Indiana
    I've only recently heard of them through another chicken fancier I met at a gas station. I do know they have your basic heavy breeds. Nothing too fancy.

4. Motel Chix

Motel Chix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2007
    Central Indiana
    I ordered 40 chicks from them last year and they sent 41 all lived, & very healthy. I ordered all pullets
    but 1 was a leghorn rooster. I am ordering 100-200 from them this year very good service.

5. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Thanks MotelChix, I'm planning to travel there to pick mine up since I only want a dozen to start. We're about 2 hours away. My list keeps changing on a daily basis, but as of today I'm getting 2 each of BRs, black Australorps, SLWs, GLWs, RIRs, and Golden Comets. Of course, now after I saw some recent pix of BOs, I'm considering them again even though I've read they're pretty broody and I'm not getting any roos.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Me and a neighbor split an order of 25 pullets; they sent 26, one died shortly after arrival, but the rest were all very healthy. We did end up with a pullet, and I ordered EEs - 4 of the 6 lay tan eggs, which I was disappointed with.

7. Windy Ridge

Windy Ridge Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Appalachia
    A friend of mine ordered SLW pullets from there, and got 9 cockerels and 16 pullets instead of all pullets.

They sent him 25 more chicks to make up for the problem; we're not sure if a flat of males accidentally got mixed in that day with the females. Neither of us had ever heard of something like that happening before.

On the other hand, they certainly did their best to make up for it. They didn't have SLWs anymore by the time he realized the problem (he got BOs instead), and he was a month or two "behind" schedule on development, since he got so many chicks much later than he'd anticipated. Then there's the problem with integrating two different sets of chicks. Still, if you make a mistake, I don't know there's more you can reasonably be expected to do than they did. He got 25 free chicks, and simply had to find a place for the extra cockerels. (Most went to his kitchen table.)

8. BearSwampChick

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    I could go either way--Meyer or Mt. Healthy, we're about the same distance from both. Am I wrong for not wanting roos? Would my hens be better off with one? Arggh! So many decisions! By the way, Windy, what part of Appalachia do you hail from? I'm a SE Ohio Appy born and raised.

9. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Meyer put two rooster in with the 8 Pullets I ordered so I only had 6 pullets left but they are realy great and healthy two love my marans pullets from them I want a few BO's as well I am getting afew barnyard mixes and some delawares soon.

10. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Go with MEYER, I got 1 roo in with my 25 pullets, which is acceptable, I did the egglayer asst.

And they are a sponser!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by