1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mtn quail housing

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ksp1, Mar 11, 2014.

1. ksp1

ksp1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Hi all I am planning on building some new cages for my mtn quail. What is a good size for them? How does everyone keep them (pairs or colony)? Thanks for the advice

2. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    I would Pm idhound .....they have mountain quail! .....Are you sure yours are mountains? they are rather rare and expensive bbirds that are commonly mixed up with other breeds

3. ksp1

ksp1 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2013
    Ok. Yes I am sure they are I have raised them for a few years now just looking to upgrade there housing and looking for new ideas and suggestions.

4. WaterfowlWierdo

WaterfowlWierdo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Ok, just checking, lot of people confuse valley and gambels for mountain quail. I dont ave any mountains my self but I have talked to people who do, but I do have scaled quail and northern bobwhites!

Anyway I would stick with pairs for mountains, and the absolute minimum sq ft per bird is 4 sq ft. but I would do much more just to keep them happy and healthy, about 10 -15 sq ft per bird would be good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by