MUCH worse than I thought

Lin Dixie

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 28, 2012
Well, our 10 month old Ameraucana hen Daisy came in with a bloody behind on Saturday, and a mass of flesh protruding from her backside. We bathed/cleaned her up, and have been treating with Prep H and antibiotic ointment daily, thinking it was a prolapse. It's not!! During her nightly clean-up tonight, we realized the mass of flesh is not coming out of her vent, it's lower in her abdomen and is sticking out through a hole in her skin. The hole is about 1/2 inch round and the mass is about 3/4 inch out.

She is eating, drinking and pooping just fine. Not acting painful or lethargic at all, she is active and alert and hungry. She greets us when we go in with her (she's in a box in our bathroom) and acts as normal as can be.

Anyone ever had something like this?? If I thought she was suffering, I'd put her out of her misery, but she really appears to feel completely healthy and normal. This happened on Saturday, and it's now Monday night.

Lin

Yes, I think so. This is the same chicken that was egg-bound in December, then injured and we thought laying internally in February. Her swollen abdomen went away, and after 14 days with no eggs, she gave us a perfect blue one last Saturday. That's when I found her with the bloody bum. I assumed she'd prolapsed but that's not it... probably a hernia but I can't tell what part of her is sticking out. I was a vet-tech for 20 years and never saw anything like this. She's still alert and active, but isn't laying. She seems completely comfortable and is still eating, drinking and pooping normally.

I think this one is out of my hands so will call the bird vet today.

CMV, calling your vet in Marlborough now.... 3:15 appointment.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom