Mucky Bums. Why is this happening?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by beautifulbirds, Nov 20, 2008.

1. beautifulbirds

beautifulbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Runny poo etc., is a sign of upset digestion. My chooks have free choice corn and wheat, grit and fresh water. They get supplemented with food scraps, bread and milk, a stew once or twice a week depending on the weather and they free range every day. Why would they have mucky rear ends? Any ideas, suggestions, solutions to this problem please. Thks in advance.

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Check my thread/question in this area titled "Pasty Butts". A few members gave some good advice there.

3. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I've heard that milk is not good for chickens. I don't know for sure, though. We never have milk here to give them. Yuck! I don't like milk!

4. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    It could be all the wheatgrass juice you are squirting down their throats daily. You posted on at least several other threads that you squirt garlic water (three dropper fulls) every morning and wheatgrass juice (three dropper fulls) every evening. You are advising others to do the same for everything from bare back hens; to hens that are molting; to hens that are limping; to hens that are sick - seems you are advising everyone to drop three dropper fulls of wheatgrass right down their throats no matter what the "emergency" or condition they are posting about.

Quote:

Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
  5. beautifulbirds

Hi ruth, thank you for your posting. I suggest that you research wheatgrass and garlic before you go sounding off, they happen to be old remedies that work and ones that I have used after having tried the 'drug regime' to find that my poor bird died despite my best efforts not to mention the vet's bill and complete indifference. By all means have input but let's make it a rule that any info you post in reply to my questions is at very least helpful instead of being critical, otherwise... don't.

6. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    fecal float for parasites will tell you whether this is a problem or not.

7. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    When My chicken display this I use apple Cider Vinegar in their water and it clears in a few days.A couple Tbs. in a gallon of water.Its an Inbalance in the digestive tract.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  8. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I have to wash my pullets but every week or so and trim her feathers.

9. Skip

Skip Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't give them milk. Chickens are omnivores, they eat grain, grass and bugs, but how often do you see a chicken go up to a cow and nurse? Not very often. I use a pre-mixed ration.

10. beautifulbirds

I give milk and bread sometimes as a treat, if they eat yoghurt then it follows that milk would be fine. Milk also provides protein for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by