Mucus in mourh...respiratory issue?

HeiHei123

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
My 6 month old ameracauna, daisy, has a lot of mucus in her mouth. I live in Arizona, where it's 110 everyday, so it's normal for all of the chickens to pant with their mouths wide open. This morning I noticed that daisy was not panting, sometimes sitting down and closing her eyes. Then I noticed that she is oddly stretching her neck and shaking her head while making a gurgling sound. I brought her inside and im giving her water, but everyone she drinks she stretches her neck again. It kind of looks like she's trying to drink the mucus in her mouth. When she breathes through her nose it sounds pretty normal, but she can't open her mouth without doing that weird thing. It looks like she wants to eat and drink, and scratch around, but every time she tries she just shakes her neck and stretches her head and then sits down with her eyes closed. No discharge out of the eyes or nose. Please let me know if you have any ideas of what this could be so I can help Daisy!!

I would look inside her throat with a light to see if there is anything unusual inside the beak. She might be showing signs of a respiratory disease, or she could be irritated by dust, or other environmental things. Make sure that you have good air circulation inside your coop, use a fan to move air theough the coop, prevent mold or water spills and any ammonia odor from droopings. Also look at her crop, and make sure that her crop empties over night. They can spit upcrop contents into the throat if suffering from a crop disorder.

I usually hold them, pull down on the wattles with one hand and press a thumb and forefinger to squeeze the corners of the beak open. It helps to have another person hold the chicken for you.

Well... if you are saying its a 110 degrees and she isn't panting, that seems alarming.

They should be panting like crazy.

So you are right to think that something is wrong. And I do like the idea of bringing her inside to lower the stress on her body. You could probably also lower the body stress by using liquid food instead of dry food.

Although...some liquid foods may make mucus worse. But normally liquid food could ease body stress because its easier to digest.

Also, I've never understood how people actually survive Arizona? Any thoughts on that?

Its a beautiful state. I've been there. And the landscape is so interesting. I'd live there if I could understand how people deal with the heat?

Living in arizona isnt too bad because it's not humid, and we just stay inside as much as possible with our ac! The real problem is keeping chickens alive. We've never gone a summer without losing at least one chicken due to heat stress. But this summer our new chickens are 6 months old and im way more attached to these girls than ive ever been, so no losing chickens this summer!!!! Anyway, the food I'm giving her is a veggie mash. She actually seems much better after being inside for an hour, but her poop is really weird and hard and small. I sent a picture

Attachments

• 15978609744922108685886.jpg
    15978609744922108685886.jpg
    353 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom