Mud in roosters throat.

mamakrista

Hatching
Jul 6, 2016
We noticed a problem with our Rhode Island Red rooster earlier. My husband had noticed him losing weight and picked him up tonight. He had a huge lump bigger than a fist on his throat. It was soft and moved easily. Anyway we decided to butcher because we were going to do so soon anyway. When he was opened up it was a huge amount of mud inside his throat anyone ever hear of this or know if it could affect the rest of my flock. He was about 17 weeks old. Thanks for any info you may have.

We noticed a problem with our Rhode Island Red rooster earlier. My husband had noticed him losing weight and picked him up tonight. He had a huge lump bigger than a fist on his throat. It was soft and moved easily. Anyway we decided to butcher because we were going to do so soon anyway. When he was opened up it was a huge amount of mud inside his throat anyone ever hear of this or know if it could affect the rest of my flock. He was about 17 weeks old. Thanks for any info you may have.

You sure it wasn't his crop you opened up? That's where they store their food. He may have been eating dirt if he was being kept away from the feeders by other more aggressive males. That's what it sounds like to me.

I've done a little more investigating and yes now that i read about it we are pretty sure that is what it was. We cant have roosters in town so it was time for him to go. We had never heard of any of the crop problems before today. This is our fifth year but i guess sometimes you miss things. Thanks for responding.

Back
Top Bottom