1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mud Season --- How Sweet It Is!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by frugal, Apr 4, 2009.

1. frugal

frugal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    It's mud season in my neck of the woods. Many of our back roads have sections on them that are impassable and everything, from your boots to your hat, gets muddy! Sections of my own little road are undriveable for most vehicles for anywhere from 3-8 weeks each year. I usually hike in or use my ATV during mud season, that saves wear and tear my body, my truck and the road. This spring we haven't had much rain yet so we may have a shorter season. I sure hope so...

[​IMG]

It's about about a 2.5 mile hike and I'll often come across a moose, a bear or a few deer. The moose seem to like the center of the road and act just as if they're King of the Highway, the deer scamper back and forth intent on not being seen. I come across a bear a couple times a year and that's always a thrill. In the morning I'll usually see the hawks patrolling the road looking for their next meal and giving the term roadkill a more natural meaning. It's always a beautiful walk and I never know what I might run across.

[​IMG]

Along with the mud comes Sugaring season, a time to gather sap from our maple trees and make Maple Syrup. We started gathering sap from our buckets around 6 this evening hoping to be all sugared off by midnight. It didn't work out that way, it seldom does on the homestead, but we wanted a short night because we had also boiled real late the night before. We were all cleaned up by around 1am. The night was so beautiful, clear and warm, that no one seemed to mind.

[​IMG]

We have a good boil going and will begin drawing off syrup soon.

[​IMG]

Here it comes..we drew off a couple of gallons this time.

[​IMG]

The kitchen is clean again and we're done for the evening. Time to hit the sack---sunrise comes early.

Mud Season—How Sweet It Is!

[​IMG]

2. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Is that 100% PURE maple syrup. If so, how much do you sell it for delivered?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  3. frugal

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Quote:Yes, it's 100% Maple Syrup however I'm sorry I don't sell it. I'm just a homesteader producing enough for myself and my crew.

Thanks for asking I bet there's quite a few people on BYC that sell Maple Syrup.

4. oldbuzzard

oldbuzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    cuba, new york
    mmmmmmmm your right!mud season means pancakes! [​IMG] great pictorial on butchering!

5. valmom

valmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    Vermont
    Your top picture looks like the road outside our driveway.[​IMG] Mud season is such an adventure, but at least we only have a few spots along our road that get deep. For the most part, people can get through- as long as you don't stop.

We tried boiling sap for the first time this year- loved it! We only tapped 6 trees to see if it would work- more of an experiment than anything else. Now SO wants an evaporator and it's own building to live in for next year and to do more trees:lol:(anything for another little building excuse).

6. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    A very nice humble life indeed...by the blood, sweat, tears, and mud of our very beings.

7. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    And I thought we had a serious mud problem here in TN since we're finally getting our spring rains! I'll quit my complaining about it NOW! [​IMG]

Great pix, thanks for sharing!

Dawn

8. frugal

Aug 9, 2008
    NEK, Vermont
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Quote:Thank you very much.

Quote:Life in Vermont is wonderful!

Quote:LOL, another building, I love it! It sure is great to me able to make my own Maple Syrup, Maple Cream, Maple Candy and Granulated Maple Sugar. It's a busy time of year but well worth the extra work.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by