Mud season=poop season?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by greenmtnchick, Mar 12, 2011.

1. greenmtnchick

greenmtnchick Hatching

Apr 11, 2010
    We let our chickens out of their run for about an hour before sunset every afternoon. Now that the snow's starting to melt, I'm noticing that our backyard is getting awfully poopy. Anyone else having this problem? Is it going to kill all our grass, or just fertilize it?

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It will kill it unless you take great pains to remove the majority of it. I am having the same troubles. [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Songster

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    It should fertilize it. The chickens are what kill my grass, not the poop.

4. 95yj

95yj Songster

Nov 25, 2009
    Central Vermont
    its the nitrogen overload from the chicken poop that burns the grass out, if its been sitting all winter in the snow it may not be as potent, and a large majority of the nitrogen will run off with the meltwater. But if you have chickens you should just accept that your not gonna have grass...

5. jmtrestle

jmtrestle In the Brooder

Nov 28, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    Well, if you have sod, the grass will grow back, if it's just mud, nope, not going to happen.
    My big chickens have a huge yard(basically free range) that they can not tear completely up,...I just have 7 hens and 1 roo.
    For the bantam cochins, I have an out side pen that I keep an eye on. When I see sod disappearing, I get worried and rearrange them so the ground can recover.
    Yep, if they tore it up, and you plan for that to be the pen, then you have to accept it unless you are willing to give them a lot more ground...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: